best frigate

--

December 8th, 2004  
CPrime

Topic: best frigate

Wich frigate is the best? I think the dutch LCF is.

http://the_kitsune.tripod.com/Rifts-...en_Frigate.htm

December 8th, 2004  
c/Commander

I like the O.H. Perry-class, but the Halifax-class frigates are nice machines as well.
December 8th, 2004  
CPrime

The LCF is suposed to be the best frigate of the entire NATO.
--
December 8th, 2004  
egoz

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the US moving away from Frigates? I thought they were going for the multirole capability of the Arleigh Burke Class Destroyers and missile Cruisers?
December 8th, 2004  
CPrime

Don't know. Why?
December 8th, 2004  
c/Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoz
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the US moving away from Frigates? I thought they were going for the multirole capability of the Arleigh Burke Class Destroyers and missile Cruisers?
That's right, our frigates are being slowly pushed out and the arleigh burke class of destroyers is taking over. Sensible, considering the Arleigh Burkes are faster than even our most high-speed frigates, and MUCH more heavily armed.
December 9th, 2004  
rocco

can someone explain the role/purpose of frigates?
December 9th, 2004  
egoz

Their main role is the protection of shipping and anti-submarine warfare. So they are usually part of carrier groups protecting the carrier from submarines and provide a little bit of protection from anti-ship missiles.
The draw back is the new FFG Guided Missile Cruisers of the Oliver Perry Class, aren't as versatile as the Burke Class Destroyers. The technology in general (radar, sonar, radio, etc) is all around better than the Perry Class. I believe the Burke class also provides a bit of stealth technology too, something I know the Perry Class doesn't have.
December 9th, 2004  
rocco

see now thats where i get confused... isnt it the same as destroyer and cruiser goals? im not really good with navy stuff...
December 9th, 2004  
egoz

A lot of the stuff is technical differences that include ship design and weapons systems. You can look at the Arleigh Burke Class and see it has a wider array of surface to air electronics and defense systems than the Oliver Perry Class frigates. Which is very important because of the air to surface threats. I'm not possitive, but I'm pretty sure the Burke Class was designed to overlap and possibily help to phase out the Perry Class frigates. The main limitations most likely being ship design in the Perry class. The Burke Class was developed more recently and has better littoral capabilities than the Perry Class (can operate better in shallow waters close to land). Which is a huge plus since open water engagements don't seem to be much of a possibility in the near future. They all can engage and fuction well in blue water, but the added capability of littoral operations is a plus.