Which is the best book explaining world war 1?

The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman is a good one that explains the lead-up to the start of hostilities and how the events of the first couple months of the war led to the stalemate that followed. I've got some others but they aren't readily available at the moment.

I've read these:
Variations on Catastrophe: Some French Responses to the Great War by John Cruickshank;
A War Imagined: The First World War in English Culture by Samuel Hynes
Very interesting books to me. Not the only ones I've read about World War I though, but I guess these are the best.

The problem with WWI is no one book will cover it all.
Also the author's view point can cause problems. Some are of the "lions led by donkeys" point of view, others have their own view of events that they put across.
If you really want to know about WWI, its causes, implications, aftermath and so on, you will need to read a large number of books, including as many first hand accounts as possible, before you can make your own mind up.
Lyn MacDonald has written a number of in depth books taking each year of the conflict in turn, and a couple of books on individual battles, that are very good.

Back