• AK-5 (Sweden)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M16/M4 (US)

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • XM8 (US)

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I might know what it is if I saw it, can't think of what it is though off top of my head. I fired many weapons, most I do not even know what they are or were. My unit had us shooting everything our enemies had as well in case we had combat with them and found their weapons, we could use them. I think it was Russian pistol took a chunk of my hand when fired first time.

Sorry about that, I misread your profile information as you being active USMC...my mistake.

I also said G-36; though I haven't fired it in a combat setting, the range time I had with one was outstanding. My one complaint is the boxy forward grip; it doesn't fit my hand very well.

It boils down to the AR/AK debate if you go to warrior talk they are all about the AK, and I agree with Gabe Suarez most of the time. The AK used by a trained soldier is an extremely potient weapon the AR must be used by a well trained warrior or it will not function.

I am still in the process of building an AR from the ground up, I have the lower done, it has an Ace stock and a megga lower the one with the skull and cross bones also it has a pretty nice single stage trigger group in it when the trigger breaks it fires no slack in the trigger. It needs an upper, money has become an issue maybe I will sell off one of my AKs and get a nice upper for it.

THe only one of that list I have used (on an extremely limited scale) is the Steyr AUG but if I had to choose one based on "trust" it would be the G-36 as I have a great deal of faith in the quality of German weapons especially small arms.

The K2 is a hybrid of the AR and the AK. It's got an AK gas operating system and it's never jammed on me, ever. Didn't even seem to require that much cleaning. My weapon was always good but there were some individuals with rifles in pretty horrid states (had to sort them out) but their weapons still fired straight and true.

Only rifles I've ever used, (while in the service), was the old SLR and the Steyr... I actually find it hard to pick between the two, I liked the feel of the L1A1 and it had some real put-down power, but I also appreciated the fact that I could use the F88 in left-handed mode, (which improved my shooting a lot, being able to shoot in a more natural position).......

That being said, there's a number of rifles listed here, that I would be only too happy to send some rounds downrange with ;-)

Depends of situation and objective. For long-lasting, intensive combat operation in hard conditions (humidity, low/high, temperatures, dust, limited time for maintenance) I'll take AK-74 or even AKM. For short operation, or in moderate conditions I'll take M-4A1 or G-36K. For open terrain, where range is essential - FN FAL or G-3...

300px-M4A1_ACOG.jpg

LOVE It!

Can anyone comment on their use of the M-16 pattern weapons in either A-stan or Iraq? I hear a lot about jamming due to fine-grain sand, but we buried an M-16A4 for a few hours at Camp LeJeune (ejection port open) and then put 750 rounds or so through the fouled barrel without any problems. Is there a different quality to the sand and dust conditions in the Gulf AOR, or was that just luck?

Can anyone comment on their use of the M-16 pattern weapons in either A-stan or Iraq? I hear a lot about jamming due to fine-grain sand, but we buried an M-16A4 for a few hours at Camp LeJeune (ejection port open) and then put 750 rounds or so through the fouled barrel without any problems. Is there a different quality to the sand and dust conditions in the Gulf AOR, or was that just luck?

I ran the AR-15 platform in the A-Stan.... I never had a problem with my service rifle when it was properly cared for. I learned that if I run my weapon as dry as I can I will have no problems. Big issue was oil and the fine talcum powder like dust/sand mixing together and making a past like gunk. So I simply treated my service rifle like my GLOCK. Just a couple of drops of oil and nothing more. My rifle ran fine and worked when I needed her to work. I took care of her and she took care of me.

Standard CLP, or were you using something special? Is it a matter of not using much oil, or just getting all of it off the weapon before you use it?

I kept a good stash of plastic muzzle covers to keep the dust out. It worked great, if I needed to shoot, first round either went through the cover or took it off, didn't have to take the time to take it off. The CLP in the dessert, on the guts and slide the rod down the barrel every once in awhile and after firing, should be fine. The problems came when you had to use your rifle in a hand to hand situation, I broke my handguards on many occasions.

Standard CLP, or were you using something special? Is it a matter of not using much oil, or just getting all of it off the weapon before you use it?

I first used CLP but then I started using my own blend. I mixed CLP and Nitro Solvent so the CLP wasn't as thick. Also I would use enough oil... but just enough.

Only rifles I've ever used, (while in the service), was the old SLR and the Steyr... I actually find it hard to pick between the two, I liked the feel of the L1A1 and it had some real put-down power

I am of the opinion that the old British SLR L1A1 was one of the finest rifles ever built, reliable and accurate, better then the FN FAL it was devoloped from. Its only problem I found, was that it was too long.

Another rifle I would consider one of the best, is the South African version of the Galil built under licence. Although heavy for the calibre its a superb reliable rifle.

When a weapon was removed from the armoury, the first job carried out was dry cleaning, removing all oil, this included rifle's, Sterling SMG's and GPMG's

Last edited:
By far M16, back in Iraq we had AKMs and some Beryls, i'll trade stopping power for accuracy any time, above 100 meters hitting something without a bipod is a frackin' miracle.

By far M16, back in Iraq we had AKMs and some Beryls, i'll trade stopping power for accuracy any time, above 100 meters hitting something without a bipod is a frackin' miracle.

100 meters is kid's play for Marines, especially with optics. You can spray 7.62 all you want, but if you can't hit anything you may as well be spitting at the insurgents.

For Marines with M16 or AR15 yes but given our rifles they had the same problem, ( i'm from the polish army ) and while we had some Beryls which are sweet little things to shoot most of us were armed with AKMs, modernized to the NATO standard but still bloody inacurate.

As for M16 or AR15s i shot from both of them and its absolute perfection, when you're used to a heavier rifle with much more kick you barely feel these babies even on full auto.

I found that I prefer a good old HK91 Heavy assault rifle myself :)
nothing else feels quite like it.

I really with I could read the opinion of a professional soldiers about these weapons:
Steyr AUG
G36
FN-F2000
AK-5

I definetely dont know much about these weapons... I know a little about the FN-F2000, a bit too fancy for my tastes... I like the weapons to be rugged. I value the reliability...

The SA-80 have a wonderful reputation when it comes to accuracy.

The TAR21 is described as short and accurate... Even if these two qualities dont mix good together. So I would say that it's a good weapon for urban fighting. The Israelis made it for that I guess, they have to secure a lot of urban areas.

I've seen many FAMAS rifles in my life, never held one. They are bigger than described, but still not that big. I think that they are very noisy. I cant tell if they are more noisy than average, but with this gun you wake up the whole neighborhood with one gun shot. But it's reliable and pretty handy... huge rate of fire (900-1000 G1 or 1000-1100 G2) I dont know if it's a good thing...

I think that the weapon that is really special here would the AN-94... I love the idea of two bullets striking the same spot... It's supposed to be devastating on body armor.

But the question is if a burst fire from an M16 could do the same damage on a body armor... I think that two bullets in the same spot is wonderful, but that three bullets not too far from each others could do the trick aswell...

No need for all this fancy mechanisms... I would go with the good old M16... With good sights and in good hands... This weapon is a good allrounder.

Back