Best Assault Rifle today?

jayraptor

Out of a sudden especially ever since the war in Afghanistan by US, several small arms manufacturers rushed to come up with new design assault rifle made of new lightweight material that will not absorb heat. This is answer to American troops that could not even hold on to their metal rifles, the M-16A2 and M-4A1 that were so hot that would burn skins severely when operated in Afghanistan and Iraq.

So which assault rife is best today? Using standard Nato 5.56mm x 45mm, 7.62mm x 51mm or Russians 5.45mm? The new experimental rounds such as rare 5.8mm, seems less practical as they'll have to replace the entire ammo inventory should they need to use the special rifles in large scale.

AN-94 Abakan, AK-107/108 from RUssia
or
ACR, XM8, M-101 from US? SCAR and FN P2000 from Belgium?

So many new rifles that I could hardly remember each and every of them.

note weapon---

caveman_~x10236584.jpg

Aw come on, m551sheridan, thanks for the joke but this forum seems quiet. Why can't users on this website be a little more active like on Defence Talk and F-16.net? It is up to you guys whether to improve this forum.

It's just like you happen to born in a country that has lower GDP and status than its neighbor. You could either:
1) build up your home country make it a better place even beating your neighboring country in all aspect
2) OR abandon your homeland and migrate to modern neighbor and live there as immigrant

I would choose option 1. Since this forum is more user friendly, why not we make it a better place. Most of us won't have chance to tryout all the new assault rifles, I say:
- FN2000 seems most futuristic.
- SCAR-L seems powerful enough
- ACR seems threatening and good in overall
- the upgraded new rifles based on M16 and M4, can't remember their new designation, seems practical enough with new heat-sink and anti-heat material.

Last edited:
The best assault rifle in my opinion was the British built L1A1, it was very accurate, reliable and hit hard. I don't like the AK47, its a spiteful round, I hate the bullpup design such as the SA80, despite everything being in the wrong place, it can't be fired off the weak shoulder without ripping your teeth out.

So long as the feckin' thing works... then it's the best. But, Brig is right. The rifle is just an extension of the soldier carrying it, the skill of the soldier is what the weapon's proficiency is dependent upon.

Despite of being old as hell and not passing modern requirements of ergonomics, AKM(S) and AK(S)-74(M) with N - type rail on the reciever still are good enough to compete with other, more `modern` assault rifles. M-16AX, withot doubt, is more accurate, but reliability is much important feature.

G-36 series also are pretty good and reliable, however, I have heard about incidents when its receiver fractured when weapon was accidentally dropped over the pavement or rocks.

Just look at what most PMC's in Iraq and Afghanistan choose for their personal weapon -

The venerable Kalashnikov AK47

Without doubt the best assault rifle of all time in terms of reliability, ease of manufacture, and longevity (robustness).

I few friends were given a variety of weapons to choose from (G3, M4, SA80 etc) and nearly all went for a AK47.

In my book that speaks volumes.

Just look at what most PMC's in Iraq and Afghanistan choose for their personal weapon -

The venerable Kalashnikov AK47

Without doubt the best assault rifle of all time in terms of reliability, ease of manufacture, and longevity (robustness).

I few friends were given a variety of weapons to choose from (G3, M4, SA80 etc) and nearly all went for a AK47.

In my book that speaks volumes.
Mechanically the AK-47 is a piece of ****. To keep manufacturing costs down and withstand the harsh conditions of the Russian front lines, the moving parts in the AK-47 were designed to keep working in muddy icy conditions so the clearances of the moving parts are very loose.The fact that it's a piece of **** is the very reason why it's so reliable, affordable, easy to use, and popular.

The tradeoff for its durability is its performance; the AK-47 is terribly inacurrate at intermediate-long ranges, which negates its purpose as an assault rifle. Overall the AK-47 is a piece of crap. You can build a house with an AK-47, but you can put a round through a flea´s ass at 300 yards with an M-16.

It speaks volumes that PMC's nearly always pick the AK47 as their personal weapon.

Russian made rifles are premium quality compared to inferior Chinese made licenced copies of same.

FACT - The M16 is has a bad name among many people who have used them. The M4 has a much better reputation.

I do agree that the Chinese copies of Soviet weapons are very poor. However, some are better then others, the copy of the Colt 1911 45ACP is very good, while the copy of the Tokarev is very poor. It all depends in which factory they are built.

I agree that the AK47 is not very accurate, but it is extremely reliable and idiot proof. The Israeli Galil is based on the AK47 and the South African R4 and R5 are licence built copies. The R4's and R5's performed flawlessly during the border war with Angola.

Personally I don't like the AK47, it horrendous to use, the 7.62x39 is spiteful to fire.

The best assault rifle I have ever used is the British built L1A1 (or SLR)

Last edited:
NP9801,

If you wish to know more about me (yawn), then simply PM me and I shall be happy to oblige. Suffice on open forum to say I'm a retired MDP officer and former TA. I'm living in Banjul, The Gambia. I became tired of living in a country which treats it's indiginous population as third class citizens. These days I prefer somewhere where it doesn't snow. Here I live well in the sun.

The groups of PMC's I met in Iraq and Helmand all picked the AK47 as their personal weapon. They had a variety of modern weapons to choose from including M16's, M4's, G3's etc... They did this for very good reason - the ammunition was plentiful, the rifles were bulletproof reliable, the 7.62 round is devastating and there were plently available (Russian made). It's the kind of weapon that is useful for short range "spray and pray".

MDP officers serving there (yes that's right, MOD Gunslingers in these theatres), were issued with SA80's and a Berreta sidearm. We were'nt given the oppertunity of choosing other weapons. If I was I would have picked the AK47 like most PMC's. My experience of rifles/carbines is limited to G3, MP5, Sterling SMG, SA80 and most recently the MP7.

Back home I have a FAC (pest control - bunnies mainly) and legally own a variety of sporting rifles including an old WW1 (1915) Lee Enfield .303

My real passion is the Great War (1914-1919).

I joined this forum to have discussions (and occasional grown up disagreements) with people about the military not to have a "how far you can piss contest". There are far too many forums where prolific posters (often backed up by their online buddies) bully people with an alternative opinion to their own (bigots).

ARSE is full of foul mouthed bullies perhaps you can join up too?

Those of you with operational military experience deserve due respect in my book but that's not to say you know everything or that your opinion is worth more than others. This kind of attitude stops others without mil service posting their views. Surely everyone's opinion is valid including civilians with a genuine interest in the military? Besides, I met plenty useless twats on ops. The fact someone has mil/ops background doesn't neccessarlly equate to mil expert. I worked alongside many NATO soldiers/police who shouldn't have been given a bloody water pistol let alone a lethal weapon!

I don't constantly dine out on my pedigree like some of YOU appear to. You aint no better than anyone else here - everyones opinion counts in the (Wild) West.

Yeeee ha :cowb:

Last edited:
I guess I'm pretty opinionated about most things (just ask the Mrs.). All I seek is friendly chat with similar people. Lets not get too hung up on pedigrees and percieved reputations, it isn't important in this place. :smile:

Besides I was a Field Marshal in the TA = RESPECT please! :D

This ex-squaddies forum (AARSE alternative) is also looking for desperate members - PERFECT GIRLS

Yeeha. ;-)

Last edited:
Back