Best Assault Rifle today?

And yeah you're right, 3800km isn't too far. If I start walking now I'll be there by let's see... typical walking speed is about 6km in an hour... should take me... oh about 630 hours... that's what, about 26 days as long as I don't stop to sleep, eat, piss and so on.
So yeah, I should have a report at the end of next month. :-D

And your point is?:p

On second thought
F:cen: that for a game of soldiers! That's 26 days without my computer so all bets are off!
Either that or I start investing in electrical extension chords :p

How about a lap top with solar charging panels?:bravo:

Ak47 might be a grand daddy of assualt rifles,but it also have some minus pionts like it can be jammed due to continueos firing. Even carbine like m4 does have similar problem. So a new weapon HK416 was introduced which soon became the favorite of the members of speacial forces it very reliable and durable.there are other variants of this rifle HK417 and m27 infantry automatic rifle.

I've fired most of 'em. The current Australian Austeyr is good however I loved the L1A1 (SLR). Better than the AK47; M16 etc. I understand that during the Vietnam War some US soldiers tried to swap their M16s for SLRs from the Australian Army. BUT, I used to own an SAFN 49 rifle. Chunky but magic. It was the grandfather of the L1A1 and of the same vintage as the AK47. Mine was not 7.62 NATO but rather a 30.06 Israeli rifle. Gas operated breech and slide; no selective fire; 10 round en-block loading and fantastically accurate because of superior obturation.

ef6616469d69ca2fc1d67f170d4b544f_zps2c9a9869.jpg

Last edited:
BUT, I used to own an SAFN 49 rifle.
Ah you lucky bugger!
I'd love to get my hands on the '49 specifically because it is the precursor of the FAL/SLR.
I'm starting to lament living in the western part of the country during the 1980s-1990s now. If I'd lived in NSW or Qld I might have had the pleasure of owning one of these myself :-(

Now I'm curious, the image you posted is the one you owned? If so, was the 20-rd mag part of the purchase or was it an aftermarket upgrade?
I knew the Argentines did a conversion of the SAFN to accept a 7.62 NATO 20-rd mag that could also be used in the FAL but I didn't know anyone else had the rifles converted for such a mag.

G'day Kev.. no. it's not mine.. I had to sell mine to John Howard in the 80s. Mine had a shorter fixed mag with 10 round en-block loading of 30 ought 6 from a clip into the breech. It was ex-Israeli, around the time of their 1948 war. It's probably crushed now or stolen by a policeman! cheers mate!

I also had a Ruger 10/22 with a 50 round tear-drop belt fed magazine Kev. Great rifle. Also 30-30 lever action Winchester; No 3 SMLE; No 4 SMLE Jungle Carbine (beautiful); Mini 14 in 5.56 NATO; Omark 7.62 target rifle; .308 Mauser and an M1 Carbine.. all gone. Government compensation was about $3,000-00, the lot. Still breaks my heart a bit when I think about it but we have to move on. Now I ride very large motorcycles LOL.

I also had a Ruger 10/22 with a 50 round tear-drop belt fed magazine Kev. Great rifle. Also 30-30 lever action Winchester; No 3 SMLE; No 4 SMLE Jungle Carbine (beautiful); Mini 14 in 5.56 NATO; Omark 7.62 target rifle; .308 Mauser and an M1 Carbine.. all gone. Government compensation was about $3,000-00, the lot. Still breaks my heart a bit when I think about it but we have to move on. Now I ride very large motorcycles LOL.

Seriously not the Omark, those rifles were classically Aussie! I remember using Omarks when I was in cadets (before they let us graduate to SLRs)
I don't know how it was specifically applied in the other states but here in West Aus it was only the semi-auto rifles/shotguns and pump-action shotguns that had to go. So I still have my very first firearm, a Marlin Model 1894 in .44Mag (essentially a copy of the Winchester lever-action Model 1894 carbine) and a Savage single-shot .22LR bolt-action that I inherited from my grandfather.
I'm slowly working on getting a lever-action shottie but unfortunately there are some house renovations that have to come first (like replacing the gutters) :crybaby:

Last edited:
For the best assault rifle, look for what guerrilla in Columbia, Somalia, etc use. These guys have the money but are not burdened with military acquisition bureaucracy. In other words, the users are free to select the best. And they do have the money.

The best assault rifles and carbines currently in service or production are the FNAC, Remington ACR enhanced, HK416A5, B.E.A.R. Elite, Colt APC and ACC-M. The LSAT rifle currently in development also looks very promising.

Maybe the AK-12 although it's pretty much impossible to improve upon the kalashnikov design any further. Which is why Poland stopped basing their rifles on it, and decided to make their own design. It's called the MSBS Radon, and looks very advance. They haven't decided yet whether to adopt the bullpup or standard design.

Italy's Beretta ARX-160 and South Korea's Daewoo K11 get an honorable mention.

The problem is when you ask a question like this, that answers are always going to be very subjective, that is, a subject's personal perspective, feelings, beliefs, desires, as opposed to those made from an independent, objective, point of view.
Personally I don't like the AR-15/M16 trigger group because I don't like the fact that you have to **** the weapon to be able to apply the safety so to me, any rifle derived from the AR-15/M16 and using that trigger group is not a good rifle for troops that are poorly trained or lack weapons discipline. Therefore, to me, it is not going to qualify as one of the "best".

Last edited:
Its between the L85A2 and HK417. The latter is basically an improved M16. It is more reliable, however I don't believe it is as accurate. The L85A2 on the other hand is a British weapon from the 70's, taken by HK defense company and turned into something with a single weakness, its weight. Many people will tell you that it is unreliable due to its predecessor's reputation for complexity and constant jamming. It is compact and accurate, but most of all............*drum roll* it looks good ;)

It's between the L85A2 and HK417. The latter is basically an improved M16. It is more reliable, however I don't believe it is as accurate. The L85A2 on the other hand is a British weapon from the 70's, taken by HK defense company and turned into a monster with a single weakness, its weight. Many people will tell you that it is unreliable due to its predecessor's reputation for complexity and constant jamming, but HK managed to fix this problem. It is compact and accurate, but most of all............*drum roll*.......it looks good ;)

Best assualt weapon

I agree with all you folks that the AK47 is the toughest weapon out there. It can be dragged through the mud, dropped, and just treated like garbage. I have shot many AK.s and they are not an accurate weapon It is a spray and pray weapon IMO. I did have one heck of a time with the M-16 when I was overseas. You had to clean them every time after a fire fight or you would end up with a club.
Toughness AK 47 hands down

knock down power M 16 and I guess they are called M 4's now

Every weapon had good and bad things about them But as I read on this page it is the soldier who is using the weapon that makes it good or bad

I did have one heck of a time with the M-16 when I was overseas. You had to clean them every time after a fire fight or you would end up with a club.
If the US would get off it's collective ass and buy the M-16/M-4 with a piston kit then you would have the best of both worlds.:neutral:

If the US would get off it's collective ass and buy the M-16/M-4 with a piston kit then you would have the best of both worlds.:neutral:

They would rather have a test trial with 7 other rifles to replace the M-4 system and spend tens of millions of dollars testing them, only to have what superior rifle is chosen end up in the scrap heap due to some type of contract dispute...and then the grunts get stuck with essentially the same stuff that's been using for 50 years...

Back