Best Assault Rifle today?

I guess I'm pretty opinionated about most things (just ask the Mrs.). All I seek is friendly chat with similar people. Lets not get too hung up on pedigrees and percieved reputations, it isn't important in this place. :smile:

Besides I was a Field Marshal in the TA = RESPECT please! :D

This ex-squaddies forum (AARSE alternative) is also looking for desperate members - PERFECT GIRLS

Yeeha. ;-)

My comment about pongo's and NCO's was tongue in cheek. ;)

If we're going to willy wave, I was a Royal Marines Officer (Capt). ;)

I'm only slightly opinionated, just ask Highway Man.

It's good to have you onboard! :D

But the foul language and bullying manner comment does still stand. :evil:

Sorry, almost forgot - SIR

Foul language is to be expected amongst our sort! ;)

No bullying on my watch (Highway Man's fair game though :D). But we're all big boys able to give it back!

You'll fit right in mate. :D

Well I haven't posted for a while but I see you "nasty boys" need someone to pull you into line so I'll have a shot at it. :box:

Sorry I can't offer up an exciting military pedigree to prove my worthiness to comment :p

In my highly opinionated view...
The best assault rifle is
30.jpg

website here

Oh damn, it's just make believe :roll:

But seriously...
I'm inclined to think that the "best" is just too damned subjective - I can't get my grubby little paws on anywhere near enough assault rifles to test them all so I end up going for those that I have actually used.

So for me it's a choice of the following, (familiarity with the weapon being the prime consideration here) but it would be very much conditional upon the environment I was operating in: -
M16A1
M16A2
AKM
L85A2
F88-A1
M2 Carbine (yeah I know it's not really an assault rifle but it 'almost' was!)

If I could choose any, it'd probably be the SIG SG550. Yeah it's hellishly expensive and also heavier than most assault rifles but I used to carry the L1A1 and then the M60 so weight isn't so much a bother. My main reason for taking the SG550 is that it has a longer barrel than most plus it comes standard with a folding stock and a bipod.
sig_sg550.jpg

If I was just going for a hard-wearing, hard-hitting rifle that I could bash in doors just as well as skulls and I could accurately shoot to 500m, I'd never go past the standard battle rifle of Australia from the 1960s-1990s, the L1A1 SLR
SLRa1_SVN_small.jpg

If I remember correctly Kevin, Oz built a shortened version of the L1A1. I loved my old L1A1, she was somewhat battered but very accurate, the only problem with it, it was too long. Mine was a very early type with the early type wood stock and forend.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly Kevin, Oz built a shortened version of the L1A1. I loved my old L1A1, she was somewhat battered but very accurate, the only problem with it, it was too long. Mine was a very early type with the early type wood stock and forend.

Your memory serves you well, the rifle in question is the L1A1-F1 SLR. So while we adopted the L1A1 essentially unchanged from the British model (hence the unchanged designation even though we built them here for our own use), the shorter version was given the Australian 'F' designation.

There's a smallish but decent comparison photo taken at the Lithgow small arms museum available here
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=68375

While it doesn't appear obvious because the Oz L1A1 underneath is fitted with our version of the BFA, you can still see that there is a difference between the L1A1 and the L1A1-F1

Edit: Just found a larger pic with the -F1 in the middle http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/pioneerparts/Picture34271.jpg
Note that the L1A1-F1 flash suppressor is quite different to that found on the standard rifle (we used the same suppressor as the Brit model)

Never seen the -F1 model myself, they're as rare as rocking horse sh*t and I'm still yet to go to Lithgow to see one in the flesh. Lithgow is the other side of the country from me, a trip of about 3800km (about 2300 miles!) but it's on my "must do before I'm too old and silly" list.
P.S. I meant to mention that the 3800km/2300mile is just the one way!

Last edited:
As I've stated before, the AK series is a conscripts weapon...The M16 series and M4 are a professional soldiers weapon.

Most of the kinks have been worked out of the M4/M16 that plagued the platform during Vietnam. A bullet to the heart or head will kill as easily with the 7.62 as it will with the 5.56. BUT, with the 5.56 I can carry twice as much ammo. Great for staying power in a fight and for target suppression. Isn't that the name of the game? Aimed shots while rounds are cracking inches from your head are hard to come by. But target suppression while another element maneuvers is much easier to accomplish. Modular design comes to mind too. With the "M" series I can keep my weapon pointed at my target with my firing hand and trigger finger in place while I take the weapon off safe, conduct immediate action for stoppage, or conduct a mag change. Pretty freakin important things to consider if I get into a fight from one room to another. Accuracy is also important, but that hardly goes without saying.

But, these are just opinions of mine.

The rifle above the L1A1 F1 looks more like an FN FAL.

3800km is only up the road Kev:p

And you'd be right again, according to the blurb on the website for the first photo, it's the South African R1 rifle - basically the FAL manufactured under licence.

And yeah you're right, 3800km isn't too far. If I start walking now I'll be there by let's see... typical walking speed is about 6km in an hour... should take me... oh about 630 hours... that's what, about 26 days as long as I don't stop to sleep, eat, piss and so on.
So yeah, I should have a report at the end of next month. :-D

On second thought
F:cen: that for a game of soldiers! That's 26 days without my computer so all bets are off!
Either that or I start investing in electrical extension chords :p

Instead of buying all those extension cords wouldnt to be cheaper to buy an airfare?

Oh pfft to that, I'd have to book two seats, one for me and the other for the computer but come to think of it, there's no 240V power sockets on an airliner so I wouldn't even be able to plug it in.

Besides, I've already handmade a backpack to carry the tower with a nice little extension at the front for the keyboard and mouse. And with all those extension chords I can always make a rope bridge if I need it, or a hammock...

:mrgreen:

:lol:

Back