Best Army Commander of the WW2 Allies

Which Allied General/Field Marshall Outshone the Rest??

• Field Marshal Bernard Law Viscount Montgomery (United Kingdom)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • General George Smith Patton (United States of America)

• Marshal of Soviet Union Georgii K. Zhukov (Soviet Union)

• Field Marshal Gustaf Mannerheim (Finland)

• General of the Army Dwight David Eisenhower (United States of America)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
General William Slim should be added as his tactics in the CBI theatre were notable as were Maj. General Orde Wingate's. If you only pick one, I'd go with Wingate. He and the Chindit's and eventually Merrill's Marauders (who borrowed much from Wingate) revolutionized tactics and was in many ways the precurser to today's Special Forces type operations.

godofthunder9010 said:
The poll ought to be redone with a better list of options. Mannerheim is amazing, but he doesn't count. Finland was Axis all the way. Here is what we have so far:

Montgomery
Patton
Zhukov
Eisenhower
MacArthur
Konev
DeGaulle (not sure on this one)
Bradley

Who else ought to be added? I seems strange that there are no options for the Japanese side of things (other than MacArthur). I am looking for Battlefield commanders, so no Air Force and no Navy. I would also like to think that there are some other notable British and Soviet commanders.

Also, if any moderator feels that recreating the topic would be bad, then of course I won't do it.

Marshall Nikolai Vatutin is another Soviet commander who is worthy in this company. He was in charge of a few Russian Fronts (equivalent to Army size in Western terms) but died in 1944 when he was killed by Ukrainian partisans. Interestingly enough, it was Zhukov who took over command of Vatutin's 1st Ukrainian Front.

Sorry but DeGaulle can't really be considered as he saw little in the way of competitive fighting.

My point wasn't really about Kuribayashi, but that Patton and Ike don't belong in the same poll. They did very different things.

When I think "combat" Generals, I think Patton.

When I think "big picture", I think Ike.

I think Ike would have sucked at Patton's job, and Patton would have sucked at Ike's job.

Zucchini said:
My point wasn't really about Kuribayashi, but that Patton and Ike don't belong in the same poll. They did very different things.

When I think "combat" Generals, I think Patton.

When I think "big picture", I think Ike.

I think Ike would have sucked at Patton's job, and Patton would have sucked at Ike's job.
Valid point, Ike is out.

Updated List:
Montgomery
Patton
Zhukov
MacArthur
Konev
DeGaulle (keeping him in because he's all France has)
Bradley
Vatutin

I would suggest LeClerc in place of DeGaulle for France. LeClerc actually led ground forces when the Allies were back on the continent. DeGaulle only saw action when France was being conquered. LeClerc led many well done armored movements though his taking Paris was a political gesture and not something he had achieved on his own - still he did do a good job of it when given the green light.

LeClerc in, DeGaulle out. Easy enough.

By the way, there was a noteable Norwegan general who probably deserves consideration. Can any of our dear friends from Norway give us the name? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I just had a quick search throught the previous topics and we don't appear to have a Best Axis Commander Poll. Or even a Best Commander of WW2 Poll. For the latter might be interesting to see who people vote for.

Doppleganger said:
I just had a quick search throught the previous topics and we don't appear to have a Best Axis Commander Poll. Or even a Best Commander of WW2 Poll. For the latter might be interesting to see who people vote for.
"Best Axis" frightens me because I get the feeling that everyone votes Rommel even though he definitely wasn't the best, but he has all the hype surrounding him. Still, it should be done.

godofthunder9010 said:
Doppleganger said:
"Best Axis" frightens me because I get the feeling that everyone votes Rommel even though he definitely wasn't the best, but he has all the hype surrounding him. Still, it should be done.

Hell I'll do it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back