best AK variant?

I have to go with the AEK-971, its throughly modern is the most accurate gun on full-auto in the world.:2guns:

Does anyone have experience with the Bulgarian SLR 5.56mm rifles? I heard they jam a lot more frequently than the other models due to the magazine design, but I'm not sure that's true. If it is reliable it's probably one of the best Kalashnikovs, it has a milled receiver. Vepr rifles are also pretty nice, they're built on RPK-74 receivers.

I don't know much about Bulgarian SLR in 5.56 but I have a good friend who used to run a 5.45x39 in 3 gun and did very well with it. Also I have a 5.56 Siaga which I converted back to pistol grip style. It works great. You should have no trouble with it. The thing about AKs is they are not all created equal. :sniper:

Yes I know the Vepr is built on the RPK receiver.

Best AK Design?

Certainly as a new member, I yield to those with more experience or exposure to the guns out their, but I think the question should be a little more specific, as in best at what? Accuracy, durability, reliability, or parts interchangability?

The PKM is a great belt fed AK variant, and interestingly enough, when studying the design, is the AK-47 "upside down". Its durable, accurate, reliable, and can meet or exceed performance from some of the best .30 caliber belt feds in the world.

As for the opposite spectrum; the light recoil, high r.o.f. and controllability and concealability of the Russian AK 74 SU makes it quite a competitor. Whether the job is close range suppression fire or taking out targets at close range while clearing rooms, it is definitely a contender in 5.45 X 39.5 mm. With a couple of 40 round RPD mags tapped together, it offers a lot firepower in a very compact package for close range encounters, and can still be a menace at moderate ranges.

Parts interchangability and reliability are again a big plus compared to other "precision constructed" platforms.

Again, only my opinion, since neither gun has ever left me "dissappointed"", I am partial to both. If you have never shot either or both, in both modes of fire, I would urge you to try them before you comment.

I agree there are better quality guns, newer technology, and guns capable of delivering the same or better performance in a "sterile" environment. In battlefield conditions when your gun going "bang" can mean a lot, I would trust either of these before I would some of the "polymer" wonder guns that are in the process of being evaluated.

There is also a reason that I didn't include the 7.62 x 39 mm AK47 variations, of which I have fired a number. The issue I have is not with the guns as much as the caliber. The 7.62 x 39 mm is overpowered for close range, and many a Vet owes his life to the "mag dumps" by those who field the gun and attempted accurate full auto fire at longer ranges. The problem was worsened when most manufacturers went away from the heavier milled receiver guns. Having shot Chicom AK-47's to Eastern Bloc AKM's, the caliber, in my opinion, is an issue. Its "over kill" for close range, and despite how well built the AK variation you consider to be the best, it is simply not a round designed to "reach out" and be effectively accurate, especially compared to rifle calibers past and present, such as 8mm, 7.62 x 54R, 30-06, 7.62 x 51, etc.

Again, only my opinions based on my limited experience!

Unfortunately I have not had the privellage of handling these weapons but based on a fair bit of internet research it seems that the AK 107/108 is the most advanced model available.Does that constitute 'best' ?

Personally, i favor the Ak-103.

Pretty light, and i would like very much to have a go at a few shots with it :santam16:

Sako RK 95 TP (7,62-39mm): I love the ability to shoot through trees in dense woodlands where ranges never grow over 300m. With that tiny NATO cal. every branch and tree would offer your opponent extra cover and we dont want that, do we. When you have 70% of the countrys landscape covered in forests (and 30% in swamps and I sware I sunk in each one of them during my service!) 7.62 is a must.

BTW: Galil is a mod of Valmet RK 62 7.62-39mm. The first Galils were actually manufactured with machinery Israel bought from Valmet...

Last edited:
M-21
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zastava_M21

File:Zastava_M-21.jpg

File:Zastava_M-21.jpg

Last edited:
It's pretty obvious when you think about it. The original vanilla flavoured AK-47 is top of the heap by a long shot.

"Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery"

It's a "Classic" the rest are merely copies and "attempted" improvements of "the standard".

Scaling it's calibre down to "children's calibres" is not really an improvement, and these "over accessorised space guns' are best left in the hands of the wankers and lounge room cowboys who have all of the necessary tools and gear in their back room to keep them performing right.

If you want a weapon that does as it was intended, all the time, every time, on the battlefield you chose a battle proven weapon.

Last edited:
True enough. If I was to fight in open plains, deserts and such I would like to use 5.56X45 caliber RK. More accurate to long distances. But in cities and forests you still got to love ability to shoot through walls and trees.

It's pretty obvious when you think about it. The original vanilla flavoured AK-47 is top of the heap by a long shot.

"Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery"

It's a "Classic" the rest are merely copies and "attempted" improvements of "the standard".

Scaling it's calibre down to "children's calibres" is not really an improvement, and these "over accessorised space guns' are best left in the hands of the wankers and lounge room cowboys who have all of the necessary tools and gear in their back room to keep them performing right.

If you want a weapon that does as it was intended, all the time, every time, on the battlefield you chose a battle proven weapon.

Can't argue with that, when all is said and done.

Can't argue with that, when all is said and done.
Well, after all the question was asking for the "Best AK variant" not, the best for urban warfare, or continental warfare etc. So I assumed that I was being asked which would I pick if I had just one choice, without any limiting or controlling factors that might otherwise affect my choice.

Back