Bengals' Palmer To Start Against Packers

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-nflup0825.artaug25,0,4732586,print.story?coll=hc-headlines-sports

Cincinnati Bengals quarter Carson Palmer said Thursday that he will play Monday night against the Packers, stepping on the field and taking a hit for the first time since injuring his left knee in the playoffs seven months ago.

"I'm going to play," Palmer said. "Nothing's changed. We set out this date a while back, and everything's been on schedule and I've been fortunate enough to progress from day to day and week to week."

Palmer hasn't talked to coach Marvin Lewis and offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski about how much he will play.

When he jogs onto the field at Paul Brown Stadium Monday night, he'll have come full circle. He was carted off the same field Jan. 8 after Pittsburgh's Kimo von Oelhoffen hit the side of his knee on his first pass in a 31-17 playoff loss.

"I'll get hit," Palmer said. "I'll get knocked around a little bit. It'll feel good because I haven't been doing that in training camp. I've been preparing for that."

Palmer is still getting some swelling in the knee, which is typical for that type of injury. Palmer tore two ligaments and dislocated his knee cap.

Lelie pays hefty price: Ashley Lelie paid dearly to get out of Denver.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan confirmed that in order to be free from the final year of his contract, the receiver agreed to pay the Broncos an amount believed to be $982,000.

Not counting players' days off, Lelie skipped 23 days of training camp, making him liable for $14,000 in daily fines totaling $322,000. The Broncos also wanted Lelie to repay a prorated portion of his $3.3 million signing bonus, which would amount to $660,000.

"It wasn't really the pick as much as I just wanted to make sure they knew whatever the prorated signing bonus was and whatever the fines were that that was going to be a hefty amount. That's a lot to pay back," Shanahan said.

Panthers 19, Dolphins 10: Rookie DeAngelo Williams returned a kick 98 yards for a touchdown in Carolina's victory over visiting Miami. Quarterback Daunte Culpepper was effective for Miami in his return to the stadium where he tore knee ligaments while playing for Minnesota last season. He completed 14 of 19 passes for 130 yards in one half, but no TDs. Carolina's first-team offense struggled. Jake Delhomme was 6-for-15 for 58 yards and no TDs.

49ers: Jerry Rice, 43, signed a one-day contract to retire with the 49ers, officially ending the receiver's career where it began. Rice hasn't played since parting ways with the Broncos before last season. Rice's 208 TDs are 33 more than second-place Emmitt Smith. Rice holds records with 1,549 catches for 22,895 yards, and the season marks of 1,848 yards and 22 TDs.

Colts: Indianapolis practiced without two of its three projected starting linebackers - Gary Brackett and Gilbert Gardner. Brackett hurt his knee Wednesday afternoon, and coach Tony Dungy said he did not expect the middle linebacker to play in Saturday against the Saints. Gardner (hand) should play.

Redskins: Quarterback Mark Brunell missed most of practice with a sore groin, although the injury isn't expected to keep him out of Saturday's exhibition game against the Patriots. Brunell, 35, said he was injured Tuesday. He practiced Wednesday and suited up again for Thursday's session, taking part in some individual drills before calling it a day.

Browns: Center Lennie Friedman was acquired from the Bears for a 2007 conditional draft choice. Friedman has played in 65 games, including 32 starts at guard and center, in seven seasons with Denver, Washington and Chicago. Ross Tucker, acquired from the Patriots, is now the Browns starter. The Browns also waived center Mike Mabry.

Raiders: Center Jake Grove has a muscle strain in his left shoulder and is expected to miss less than a month. Grove injured his shoulder on the first play of practice Tuesday and tried to play through it at first, but the pain became too much. Grove will be replaced by Corey Hulsey, who started last week at left guard and played mostly as an extra tight end and on special teams last season.

Notably: Panthers starting outside linebacker Na'il Diggs injured his right knee in the first quarter of Thursday's game against Miami and was not expected to return. ... Bills receiver Peerless Price returned to practice a day after he was held out because of a sore triceps. Price is expected to play Saturday when Buffalo hosts Cleveland. ... The Cowboys officially released quarterback Drew Henson. ... The Falcons signed nine-year veteran defensive tackle Grady Jackson. Jackson, 33, had spent the past 21/2 seasons with the Green Bay Packers before becoming a free agent. He started all 16 games last season, making 54 tackles and one sack. ... Chargers rookie left tackle Marcus McNeill had minor surgery to repair a broken bone in his left hand. ... Lions receiver Charles Rogers (knee) hasn't practiced all week.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press

Back