BENDLERBLOCK IN BERLIN: GERMAN RESISTANCE MEMORIAL TODAY

Maksym Chornyi

BENDLERBLOCK IN BERLIN: GERMAN RESISTANCE MEMORIAL TODAY

For years I had a dream of visiting the site of the ‘Valkyrie’ July 20, 1944 events, and finally in 2019 was fortunate to spend hours at the German Resistance Memorial Center in Berlin. In this traditionally detailed 10 000 word-volume article with 100+ archival and modern photos and maps, I will tell the story of the Bendlerblock Army HQ complex from the founding stone to its history between World Wars, July 20 plot, and after WWII. I have used around 40 books about the German Resistance, and every published biography of Claus von Stauffenberg available, the archival documentation and photos, some of them never published before to understand the history of this memorial in the center of Berlin.

I would greatly appreciate your interest and feedback on the material. At the moment there is no possibility for me to travel (I am proud to live in Ukraine), so I find delight in researching, writing, and sharing the journeys already done with you.

https://war-documentary.info/bendlerblock-memorial-in-berlin-july-20-1944/

bendlerblock-main-2.jpg

I have a bit of a problem with the German resistance movement within the military and it is fundamentally that many of them were happy to follow Hitler when the army was marching forward but as soon as the swastika hit the fan in 1943 he was suddenly the worst thing to happen to Germany since Germanicus, there is no doubt that Hitler desperately needed his views balanced by a couple of grams of lead behind the ear but if they were truly appalled by his actions they should have dealt to him by 1939.

Back