Beer posts - From the Ukraine thread...

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
There is no prohibition in Syria,there are even Syrian breweries.

I have tried Syrian beer in either Jordan or Egypt can't recall which, it was ok and damn sight better than a lot, I think I have also had a Syrian wine.
To be fair most Islamic countries have breweries, wineries and distilleries that cater mainly to the tourist markets and most of their main cities are fairly cosmopolitan and aren't all that different to western cities and just about every country in the Mediterranean area seems to have its version of an anise flavoured alcohol.
Greece has its ouzo, Turkey has Raki, I think it was Arak in Jordan and Egypt.

I have tried Lebanese beer, but not any Syrian beer. Palestinians have a few interesting beer breweries as well. Israel is popping up on my beer radar, they have interesting micro breweries

I have tried Lebanese beer, but not any Syrian beer. Palestinians have a few interesting beer breweries as well. Israel is popping up on my beer radar, they have interesting micro breweries

Yeah I will skip Israeli beer out of choice but I wouldn't be adverse to trying a Palestinian one, oddly enough I enjoy Ukrainian Obolon beer and there is the Russian Baltika zero alcohol lager which I liked, Lithuania and Finland make some very nice ciders, who knew you could grow fruit under 2 metres of snow.
:)

Yeah I will skip Israeli beer out of choice but I wouldn't be adverse to trying a Palestinian one, oddly enough I enjoy Ukrainian Obolon beer and there is the Russian Baltika zero alcohol lager which I liked, Lithuania and Finland make some very nice ciders, who knew you could grow fruit under 2 metres of snow.
:)

You should try the Finnish summer soup. It is a very easy to make it. Take a soup plate with flowers on it and pour vodka in it and viola, you get the Finnish summer soup. Another delicious Finnish drink is vodka and dip one lingonberry in it for a few seconds.

Estonian beer is pretty good. I have never liked cider so I don't know much about the Lithuanian and Finnish cider. but I suspect they can harvest the apples in a few hours before the snow arrives in early July

And yes, we went off topic again

You should try the Finnish summer soup. It is a very easy to make it. Take a soup plate with flowers on it and pour vodka in it and viola, you get the Finnish summer soup. Another delicious Finnish drink is vodka and dip one lingonberry in it for a few seconds.

Estonian beer is pretty good. I have never liked cider so I don't know much about the Lithuanian and Finnish cider. but I suspect they can harvest the apples in a few hours before the snow arrives in early July

And yes, we went off topic again

Yeah I know but it is amusing besides I did mention Ukrainian and Russian beer so it is sort of on topic.
;)
We haven't made it to the Baltic states yet but really enjoyed Norway, Sweden and Finland despite it being December.
Maybe a beers of the world thread is in order.

Yeah I know but it is amusing besides I did mention Ukrainian and Russian beer so it is sort of on topic.
;)
We haven't made it to the Baltic states yet but really enjoyed Norway, Sweden and Finland despite it being December.
Maybe a beers of the world thread is in order.

There is only one country with real beer

The mainstream American beer is like making love in a canoe, fxxking close to water. They do have decent micro breweries. Canadian beer (not their mainstream) is pretty good, they also have a lot of micro breweries. Especially their (US and Canada) IPAs are really good.

German beer tastes water,because it is essentially water .
Belgian beer ,that is beer .
American beer is worse than German beer and English beer is worse than American beer .

Umm All beer is essentially water, I find the French have some truely awful beer, Denmark and Holland vie for the blandest beer title, English beer is like their drinking style just designed to get you legless as fast as possible.

The mainstream American beer is like making love in a canoe, fxxking close to water. They do have decent micro breweries. Canadian beer (not their mainstream) is pretty good, they also have a lot of micro breweries. Especially their (US and Canada) IPAs are really good.

I don't disagree however I strangely have fond memories of Miller's genuine draught although I am not sure why and the worst beer I have ever drunk was from a micro brewery in Wisconsin, tasted like it had been through a fire and then they added honey and took about 3 hours to finish the glass.
I would sooner drink runoff from a Chernobyl sewer than have that again.

Beer

Shall we take the beer discussion here instead and ask Red if he can move the beer discussion from the Ukraine thread to this one?

Shall we take the beer discussion here instead and ask Red if he can move the beer discussion from the Ukraine thread to this one?

Works for me, although I also think we should be looking at a new Ukraine thread as that one has grown a bit too large to follow and the new phases of the war are very different to the opening ones.
Maybe George could open a part two?

While stationed in Singapore, the only beer freely available in the NAAFI was locally brewed Tiger beer. A consumer magazine years ago carried out 'The good bad and the ugly beers from around the world.' Tiger beer was rated as ''Unfit for human consumption''

Not technically a beer, scrumpy cider from the West of England will put most grown men on their backsides very quickly. If the landlord of the pub doesn't know a customer will only sell him/her half pints. Its lethal:drunkb:

During my time in Germany the beer I drank was Becks Bier, it went down quite well after 'Endex'':drink:

While stationed in Singapore, the only beer freely available in the NAAFI was locally brewed Tiger beer. A consumer magazine years ago carried out 'The good bad and the ugly beers from around the world.' Tiger beer was rated as ''Unfit for human consumption''

Not technically a beer, scrumpy cider from the West of England will put most grown men on their backsides very quickly. If the landlord of the pub doesn't know a customer will only sell him/her half pints. Its lethal:drunkb:

During my time in Germany the beer I drank was Becks Bier, it went down quite well after 'Endex'':drink:

Yeah I have never been a fan of Tiger either but it is surprisingly popular here, I don't mind Beck's but I tend to drink the local beer predominantly a Brewery called Tuatara as they make some nice blends although if I am driving I stick to the 0% Baltika or Obolon beer as they are both drinkable unlike Heineken 0%.

OK, I send Redleg a PM about it

ps. I am not a huge fan of non-alcohol beer, but the best one I have tasted (I haven't tasted many) is Carlsberg's 0%.

The German Warsteiner is a pretty good mainstream beer. I have been to a beer festival in Stuttgart and it was really fun, but I will never do that again. I was there for about four days, but it took four weeks to recover from it.

OK, I send Redleg a PM about it

ps. I am not a huge fan of non-alcohol beer, but the best one I have tasted (I haven't tasted many) is Carlsberg's 0%.

The German Warsteiner is a pretty good mainstream beer. I have been to a beer festival in Stuttgart and it was really fun, but I will never do that again. I was there for about four days, but it took four weeks to recover from it.

I have tried a lot of German beers and while I didn't find many I wouldn't drink I can't say I was over awed by them.

I have tried a lot of German beers and while I didn't find many I wouldn't drink I can't say I was over awed by them.

I have been to their beer festivals and they were fun. But I was missing a good amber ale while being there. The Germans only have lagers and wheat beer.

You said something about Wisconsin. I have tasted one beer from Wisconsin and that was the Old Milwaukee and it was like all the other American beer. However, some of the US beer works pretty good when it is really hot

I have been to their beer festivals and they were fun. But I was missing a good amber ale while being there. The Germans only have lagers and wheat beer.

You said something about Wisconsin. I have tasted one beer from Wisconsin and that was the Old Milwaukee and it was like all the other American beer. However, some of the US beer works pretty good when it is really hot

Never liked amber ales, always end up throwing them out.
I tend to like lagers and hazy IPAs and avoid wheat beers wherever possible.

I love a good pint of Guiness, not bottled or in cans but on draught. A good pint has the white head clinging to the glass all the way down. However, keeping Guiness is a nightmare, if the barrel is knocked, even slightly, it has to be taken offline and a new barrel attached.

I love a good pint of Guiness, not bottled or in cans but on draught. A good pint has the white head clinging to the glass all the way down. However, keeping Guiness is a nightmare, if the barrel is knocked, even slightly, it has to be taken offline and a new barrel attached.

I can't drink stouts, the amber ales are the darkest beer I can drink to "heavy" food and not a lot of them either.

Czech beer is really good.

Back