The Beast (1988)

Russian Tank in Afghanistan is danger low on fuel, on the edge of a huge impassable gorge, requiring them to backtrack 2 days, leaking engine oil, a cracked track block, with very little brake fluid left, and short on ammunition, running 2 crewmembers short. Russian transport Helicopter spots them from the air and lands to ask if they can help them find some water. Once they (chopper pilot) realizes thier predicament, he tells them to load up on the chopper, and he'll call in an airstrike on the tank, to which the tank commander replies: "Nobody...Wastes...My...Tank..." He then walkes up to the chopper and tells the crew to load back up on the tank:

Tank Commander (on the ground): "Get back in the Tank"

Gunner: (in chopper): "We're going home, sir"

Tank Commander: "yeah...In the Tank."

Gunner (screaming): "WHY CAN'T WE GO HOME IN A F**KING HELICOPTER???????"

Tank Commander (sternly): "Because you're Tankers."

Very good movie, some sketchy acting, Stephen Baldwin and Jason Patric have their moments though good and bad. My favorite quote would have to be at the end, when the woman walks up and says :"Sorry we let two get away." I also like the fact that they didn't try to fake Russian accents.

Daskal (Tank Commander): Out of commission, become a pillbox. Out of ammo, become a bunker. Out of time, become heroes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Koverchenko: You're a good soldier. You will do well when they tell you to shoot your own mother.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Koverchenko: Well, sir, the roadwheel's cracked. Kaminski drank our brakes. We're low on petrol. The battery's low. We're losing oil. If the engine heats up it's gonna seize. The terrain, obviously against us. We have no rations. The Mujas behind us don't seem to run on rations, petrol, or anything we know of. And they have an RPG. Their aim is getting better. Sir.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helicopter pilot: Today's your lucky day. If we hadn't been out here looking for water we wouldn't have found you guys. Go ahead and climb aboard, I'll call in an airstrike on the tank.
Daskal: Nobody wastes my tank...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Koverchenko: I tried to be a good soldier. But you can't be a good soldier in a rotten war, sir.

Just some more quotes from the movie I thought y'all might like

Back