Beam weapons almost ready for battle

Missileer

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10805240/?GT1=7538 more.....

No place to hide.

LOS ALAMOS, N.M. - There is a new breed of weaponry fast approaching — and at the speed of light, no less. They are labeled "directed-energy weapons," and they may well signal a revolution in military hardware — perhaps more so than the atomic bomb.
Directed-energy weapons take the form of lasers, high-powered microwaves and particle beams. Their adoption for ground, air, sea, and space warfare depends not only on using the electromagnetic spectrum, but also upon favorable political and budgetary wavelengths too.

Particle beam weapons were being successfully tested against missile warheads from specially modified 747s 10 to 12 years ago. Then, all of a sudden, this whole program went top secret!

I have no doubt that a few are already deployed.

Beam weapons will NEVER be a viable weapon.
1) The power source required to cause any destructive effect is
far to bulky and costly to be an advantage over projectiles.
2)Light can be bent.So unless you have perfect weather your beam weapon will be affected.(who wants a weapon that is made innacurate by fog or drizzle).
Still they are great fun to watch in Star Wars movies.

Well they say we can mount them on F-15s so there NOT that big.

2)Light can be bent.So unless you have perfect weather your beam weapon will be affected.(who wants a weapon that is made innacurate by fog or drizzle).

Theres lots of people that know more than i do and i beleive theyve corrected this problem somehow. PLus in the upper atmosphere your above weather pattrens.

sven hassell said:
Beam weapons will NEVER be a viable weapon.
Still they are great fun to watch in Star Wars movies.

Sven, Never say never, my friend. Do you remember the first "luggable" computers? heck. Just look at the ENIAC and UNIVAC from many years ago. Those are still well within the scope of living memory. :type: With the recent influx of new technologies, I would not be surprised if these weapons are right around the corner or even aready deployed as LocalGrizzly has suggested. And I agree that their development and continued deployment shall be many times more significant than the nuke.

Back