Bayonets

--

October 22nd, 2006  
MightyMacbeth

Topic: Bayonets

I know they are still in use in ceremonies right? , but do you think they will ever see action?
October 22nd, 2006  
Missileer

As long as there is a chance of close combat action, there will be bayonets. A spear beats a knife anytime.
October 22nd, 2006  
Légionnaire

I think bayonets are out of vogue. The most missions are against the terror and if you stand in town you may don't have the time to plant your bayonet on you weapon, so I think a good combat-knife will be the better choise in a close combat action.

So long
Légionnaire
--
October 23rd, 2006  
major liability

Well, the SKS has an integral bayonet, so if an insurgent has no other alternatives than an "ALLAHU AKBAR!" charge it might see some use.
October 23rd, 2006  
5.56X45mm

Bayonets were used by the Brits during the Invasion of Iraq.

The Bayonet will always have a place on the battlefield.
October 23rd, 2006  
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMacbeth
I know they are still in use in ceremonies right? , but do you think they will ever see action?
Search, and you'll find..
Bayonet kills
October 23rd, 2006  
Légionnaire

In the german army there are no bayonets any more, wie have the combat-knife KM2000.
Perhaps some units have the bayonet because there are traditionally reasons, I doesn't know...

So long
Légionnaire
October 23rd, 2006  
5.56X45mm

The U.S. 27th Infantry Regiment during Korea once took out a Chinese Machine gun position with bayonets.
October 23rd, 2006  
MightyMacbeth

ahh this idea of "bayoneting"

Thank you fellas
October 23rd, 2006  
Légionnaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56X45mm
The U.S. 27th Infantry Regiment during Korea once took out a Chinese Machine gun position with bayonets.
The koreawar was in the '50s and the vietnamwar was short time after. Both wars were in jungle terrain and such terrain a weapon with a bayonet have in mind, but a war like this wars won't be come back, not for modern armys like the USA, GB, France, etc.
War since 1990 in fact would be won by air force to 60 %, 20% by special forces and the last 20% are troops.
Take a look on Desert Storm, the major offensive of ground troops take three days and it was over.

So long
Légionnaire