Bayonets in the Australian Army; Question.

Intoxicated_Ant

Hi, i heard that the Australian army doesn't use Bayonets. Is this true, i have tried to search for information about the use off bayonets in the Australian army but could only find information relating to World War eras. Anyone shine some light on this for me?

Got non evidence on this but seeing as they use the Steyr AUG,then I doubt they use Bayonets since giving up the SLR.
For some reason (I suppose to enhance aggression),we still practice bayonete on SA80,although personally I think it is innefective unless used on a full length firearm.

Thanks Sven. Someone suggested to me that the Australian Army made a consciouses decision not to use bayonets due to the past history of diggers being slaughtered in bayonet chargers. I'd really like to find out if this is true or just myth.

Sevn.....The bayonet has been used in charge in Iraq with great effect. A unit was pinned down and a section did a flanking movement and close with them with bayonets fixed and it was carnage from what I heard. I will also mention it was a Scottish Regiment that carried it out

British soldiers killed 35 Iraqi attackers in the Army’s first bayonet charge since the Falklands War 22 years ago. The fearless Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders stormed rebel positions after being ambushed and pinned down. Despite being outnumbered five to one, they suffered only three minor wounds in the hand-to-hand fighting near the city of Amara. The battle erupted after Land Rovers carrying 20 Argylls came under attack on a highway.
After radioing for back-up, they fixed bayonets and charged at 100 rebels using tactics learned in drills.

When the fighting ended bodies lay all over the highway — and more were floating in a nearby river. Nine rebels were captured. An Army spokesman said: “This was an intense engagement.”

The last bayonet charge was by the Scots Guards and the Paras against Argentinian positions.​

Thanks for correcting me on that guys,bit embarrassing as the Argylls are Based in my home town at Howe barracks and I should have remembered the local press when Pvt.Beharry won the V.C. recently(even though he's a different reg.).
Still Why then dont the Aussies use bayonets,seeing as they are probably some of the most efficient fighting men around?
P.S. Check out the V.C. websites to read the the story of my great,great uncle John Travers Cornwell and the events of his decoration,it is a most unconventional and interesting story.

The Australian Army does still use the bayonet. Many units issue them though some of the more "logistic" units do not. The F88 is the standard soldiers rifle and in it's rifle form can and will take a bayonet. Australian soldiers are still to this day taught the history theory and practical asspects of bayonet fighting at there initial recruit training course. Many units today still paractise on bayonet assault courses.
cheers

Back