bayonet improvement idea

If soldiers want versatile then they should carry a multi tool. Those have knives. The bayonet is such a far more effective stabbing tool that we should use those instead of strapping knives to our barrels.

diplomatic_means said:
strapping knives to our barrels.

That's what a bayonet is, kind of the definition of a bayonet, actually.

I honestly do not understand your reasoning behind wanting these old bayonets coming back. Is there any reason beyond that they look mean?

A triangular wound is much more potent and takes much longer to heal than a line shaped stab. It is harder for scar tissue to form around a triangular wound and because the triangular bayonets have more surface area entering the body they to more damage internally. Triangular bayonets are the only bayonets worth using in such a purpose.

And you're going to be a pastor? :lol:

Anyway, when an American serviceman uses his bayonet, he is either going to kill or wound and subsequently capture the enemy as a rule, so all the triangular wound would accomplish would be to give our docs more work and to make us look like savages. The United States military is not in the business of torture.

THank you Redneck for finally giving me a logical explanation as to why we don't use them. Just for reference my youth pastor told me all this about the bayonet because I was pretty much the only youth and he was a logistics guy for the army in the Persian Gulf War and Desert Storm. You'd also be hard pressed to find bigger supporters of our armed forces than pastors. 8)

:lol: My comment was relating to you wanting to be a pastor but being gung-ho for nastier weaponry at the same time. :lol:

So what's your connection? God uses nations to punish others and usually did it in more brutal ways than we do now. I'm just trying to encourage sacrifice. As goes my view on current warfare the benefit to switching to the triangular bayonet would help emphasize the human sacrifice void that is constantly trying to be taken out of war.

Alright, that's a sore spot with me. Are you yourself even planning on making this sacrifice? If not, you are entirely unjustified "encouraging" others to make the sacrifice that you are not willing to make, just to fulfill some random theory.

Erm you might have a point there. You can think of it as us (the US) being the tool which God uses. But you can't take it too far and use God as a scapegoat.

Of course I am not saying that we do that, and we have never done that.

But I think you have a point as God using us to clean-up to world (ousting Saddam and Vietnam ect.)

I tend to agree with your views Diplomatic Means, even if they are controversial and perhaps stretching it and reshaping and bending what it means to be Christian.

God put us on this earth with a purpose. I see the purpose of the United States to rid the world of people like Saddam.

Full Steam Ahead, I'm with you man. :rambo:

Redneck stop talking to me about sacrifice. I know what sacrifice is. The Chrisitian religion is the most heavily persecuted religion in the world. I bet you didn't know that 175,000 people die every year because they claim Christ as their only hope. I know what sacrifice is I've read stories much more gruesome about torture Christians have endured and died by that are much more graphic than all the ways soldiers die in the field put together. :(

diplomatic_means said:
I've read stories much more gruesome about torture Christians have endured and died by that are much more graphic than all the ways soldiers die in the field put together. :(

And the same has christians done to others too.. (Crusades etc..)

This is getting WAY off-topic.

You are free to start a new discussion about this topic.

But let's stay on target here from now on!

Here's some bayonets for you Diplomatic.. ;)
http://www.military-quotes.com/knives/bayonets.htm

LOL at "sacrifice" and the answer ducking thereof.
If bigger badder wounds are what you want, just SLASH instead of STAB. A bayonet that doubles as a field knife is reasonable in todays military. One that takes up space and weight and STILL requires you to have a field knife is silly. Bottom line: you need a field knife, why not put a bayonet lug on it. No sense in going overboard.
Hey, would any of you active duty guys like a custom bayonet for your service rifles? I do knife making, and for the right price could do just about any style you like.

The bayonet has a high psychological value, especially in close quarters combat. If is saves your life just once it is worth using. But it's of very little use in it's scabbard, except if you've lost your can opener, or you wish to impress the local girls with your machismo. If you are in a firefight where you may run into an enemy at close range have it fixed.

The sight of that cold steel on the end of your rifle might just make your opponent hesitate for that fatal fraction of a second.

I occasionally see photos showing these big macho blokes with their K-Bar taped to their webbing. It would be a lot better used on the end of their weapon where they could use it with out having to let go of their weapon to grab it. Too late, Too late!! she cried. You're dead already.

Last edited:
When my brother was in Iraq. His camp got hit by sandstorm. So, he and his platoon got the ordered to patrol in the Iraqi town. The town also got hit by sandstorm. My brother has to put a bayonet on his rifle. Fighting though the sandstorm. Sometimes he shot an insurgent guy by a foot (12in). Sometimes he stabbed an insurgents by his bayonet. He told me.

Really? From every experience I had with the bayonet it was that it was
a) friggin' useless
b) a hassle to carry around

Ok so currently the American bayonet is the M9 it's a 7 inch long glorified knife.

First, as far as I know most US soldiers are issued with the M7 bayonet not the M9.
Anyways, I think its good to have the possibility to attach your knife/bayonet ( that everyone should carry imo) to your rifle if you out of ammo and if thats the only or best weapon you can get your hands on (better than throwing some cotton batting;) ).

I never had a bayonet training in german army and as far as I know they have bayonets stored ( the old east german AK-47 bayonets from the NVA) but they don´t give them to the soldiers. In basic training they told us to use the folding shovel that every soldier carrys or the buttstock of our G3 if you are out of ammo and it comes to hand to hand combat.

Joker

Bayonets and fighting knives are two different instruments. Bayonets are not made from the best steel and the older ones would even bend. A survival or fighting knife is carried strapped to your leg or belt and it is not designed to install on the barrell of a rifle. The good ones are made from extremely tough steel and will hold an edge under heavy use. Bayonets won't take or hold an edge like a Kabar, the tempering process is not the same because it's a stabbing weapon and seldom, if ever used for anything else.

Is this WWI or WWII?! I dont even want to think about byonets.... When a IDF officer in Gaza had a jam a few months ago he charged the terrorist with his helmet and beat him to death...IDF dosent even have byonets......

You don't have a link to this story do you? I've got a few people I'd love to share it with. :smile:

Like I said. Bayonets are friggin' useless. Just bring along a Swiss Army knife or one of those Leatherman multi-knives.
Always remember Murphy's First Law of Bayonet Fighting: The one with the bullet wins.
You might hear a story about some guy who used a bayonet in such and such situation not too long ago but the chances of that sort of thing happening are so incredibly remote that simply the bayonet isn't worth the weight and space it takes up.

Like I said. Bayonets are friggin' useless. Just bring along a Swiss Army knife or one of those Leatherman multi-knives.
Always remember Murphy's First Law of Bayonet Fighting: The one with the bullet wins.
You might hear a story about some guy who used a bayonet in such and such situation not too long ago but the chances of that sort of thing happening are so incredibly remote that simply the bayonet isn't worth the weight and space it takes up.

And if your weapon malfunctions or runs out of ammo at that critical moment when your opponent decides that he'd just like to share your personal space?

I'm sure he won't be worried by the 47 instruments of self mutilation on your Swiss Army knife, although he might take it as a souvenir.

Back