Is the battleship obsolete?

• Battleship is obsolete

Votes: 33 50.8%
  • Battleship is not obsolete

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • I don't know and I don't care

Votes: 4 6.2%

• Total voters
then you missed the best mechanic the Bainbridge ever had, my dad was soo good that even as a conventional MM him and Rickover crawled through the bilges, and the reactor room before she was launched just making sure all the welds were right. not bad for a conventional machinist mate huh?

I myself say that there will always be a need to blow something up without risking pilots. Such as a ground based ASM site guarded by SAMs which in turn are guarded by anti-missile/bomb systems. Rather than risk aircraft, one can simply send a really fast shell at it.

I myself say that there will always be a need to blow something up without risking pilots. Such as a ground based ASM site guarded by SAMs which in turn are guarded by anti-missile/bomb systems. Rather than risk aircraft, one can simply send a really fast shell at it.

And THAT is what a Battleship does

And THAT is what a Battleship does
Yes, now let's make a railgun equipped battleship to launch the same sized projectiles at five times the velocity for twenty five or more times the destructive kinetic energy.

no thanks, I'd rather stay with a 2000lb chunk of steel that leaves a hole you can sail a destroyer through, than start modifying ships

no thanks, I'd rather stay with a 2000lb chunk of steel that leaves a hole you can sail a destroyer through, than start modifying ships
What about a 2000lb chunk of metal that can instantly take out an aircraft carrier and strike with the force of a MOAB if not more?

I'll have to pass on that one, I prefer weapons that can move on their own and not have to have the entire ship turn to aim them, make one that is independent like a 16" gun and I'll think about changing my vote

I'll have to pass on that one, I prefer weapons that can move on their own and not have to have the entire ship turn to aim them, make one that is independent like a 16" gun and I'll think about changing my vote
Why would it be any bigger than the current gun? By 2060 we could do this quite easily.

I'm with Wolfen. A 2,700 pound chunk of HEAP fired from 20 miles away (what would be the apogee and end mass/velocity upon impact) beats the rail gun any day....
BECAUSE WE AIN'T GOT ANY YET!

Dreams are fine, but they don't mean diddly squat in battle. That fancy railgun just miht kick some arse, but that's in the years to come. Whatcha gonna do Czin? Stand out in a row boat hollerin' at the enemy "you just wait until we get ourselves a railgun, then you'll be sorry!"? About time you wake up and smell the cordite Czin.

Last edited:
While I may be a cynic, I don't believe man would screw up that badly.
Actually, this makes you an optimist.

We probably only have days or even hours before the whole planet is vaporized. See Topic on the Super collider in Europe. They have continually had problems since its start up. But these smart guys who can't seem to make it work, swear they know that they can make anti-matter safely. :lol:

Topic: Geneva atom smasher set for record collisions

Actually, this makes you an optimist.

We probably only have days or even hours before the whole planet is vaporized. See Topic on the Super collider in Europe. They have continually had problems since its start up. But these smart guys who can't seem to make it work, swear they know that they can make anti-matter safely. :lol:

Topic: Geneva atom smasher set for record collisions
The amount of anti-matter that the large hadron collidor amounts to a few million atoms per second, which amounts to enough energy to.....barely charge a lightbulb. The black holes they'd make would evaporate more or less the instant they form. Much more powerful reactions are done in our Ionosphere, and quite obviously, we are still here.

And a Cynic!=Pessimist.

The amount of anti-matter that the large hadron collidor amounts to a few million atoms per second, which amounts to enough energy to.....barely charge a lightbulb. The black holes they'd make would evaporate more or less the instant they form. Much more powerful reactions are done in our Ionosphere, and quite obviously, we are still here.

And a Cynic!=Pessimist.

The Eternal Optimist.
I guess I will have the last laugh when after we are all vaporized I get to tell you, "I told you so." (Better tell you know as it may be hard to find you after the event).

Of course they will either have blown us into the next galaxy or sucked us into a parallel universe in a different dimension. ;)

Either way property values are really going to plummet around here.:-(

As far as this topic, if either happens, it will then be obvious the battleship is obsolete.:santa:

I'm with Wolfen. A 2,700 pound chunk of HEAP fired from 20 miles away (what would be the apogee and end mass/velocity upon impact) beats the rail gun any day....

Dreams are fine, but they don't mean diddly squat in battle. That fancy railgun just miht kick some arse, but that's in the years to come. Whatcha gonna do Czin? Stand out in a row boat hollerin' at the enemy "you just wait until we get ourselves a railgun, then you'll be sorry!"? About time you wake up and smell the cordite Czin.
Use normal fleet elements until Railguns are able to be fitted on to replace the main guns of all ships. Strip out that useless main gun for a far more deadly weapon.

Especially when you see a VW sized hunk of American explosive ammo go through a wall like a freight train :)

besides if the enemy ever gets a railgun ship we always have that Seawolf submarine :)

While I may be a cynic, I don't believe man would screw up that badly.

I'm a realist, I believe in what I see, I see the human species eradicating itself either by un-curable sickness, war or famine, within 50 years or so. Unless soem muslim terrorist gets his grubbily left hand ona nuke. Then it might be a little sooner.

Besides like chukpike said one screw up in that dam atom smasher and we will explode like a planet in star Wars. Personally I really don;t give a crap how the earth was made, I'm to busy trying to keep myself from dieing

Especially when you see a VW sized hunk of American explosive ammo go through a wall like a freight train :)

besides if the enemy ever gets a railgun ship we always have that Seawolf submarine :)
I'll see your copter and raise you one anti-submarine helicopter. Something a submarine's only weapons against are ill will and harsh language.

I'll see your anti-submarine helo and raise you a second Seawolf hidden in the deep water where you can't find it.

Back