Battleship is not obsolete - Page 2

View Poll Results :Is the battleship obsolete?
Battleship is obsolete 33 51.56%
Battleship is not obsolete 27 42.19%
I don't know and I don't care 4 6.25%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

--

January 20th, 2010  
George

I know the US scrapped the ability to make barrels bigger than 8". Is there any capacity still in existance, if not the whole thing is moot.
January 20th, 2010  
Big_Z

The size of the barrel is not the issue. The problem is pushing a piece of metal out of metal at 4,000 mph. That type of friction and heats melts current day materials.
January 20th, 2010  
A Can of Man

They'll probably have to water cool it with sea water as well.
Then you have to deal with warping... or else you'll have a really bad rate of fire on that thing.
--
January 20th, 2010  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Z
The size of the barrel is not the issue. The problem is pushing a piece of metal out of metal at 4,000 mph. That type of friction and heats melts current day materials.
Original subject was/is Battleships & 8" or less isn't a Battleship, traditionaly speaking.
January 21st, 2010  
wolfen

Personally I'd rather see a Battleship that a rail gun, I remember desert storm with the U.S.S Wisconsin sitting 20 miles off the coast lobbing 16" shells right on top of whatever target was picked. trust me theres NOTHING that will ever compare to a Battleship
Call them obsolete, but remember what England did to the Bismark with an obsolete airplane.
February 2nd, 2010  
namvet

yes i think their gone for good. but sorely missed. we had the New Jersey in Nam. here's a photo of her coming alongside an ammo ship i served on. the south china sea

they were built for a wartime economy. this one, i was told cost a million US a day to just keep afloat and operating.
February 2nd, 2010  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen
Personally I'd rather see a Battleship that a rail gun, I remember desert storm with the U.S.S Wisconsin sitting 20 miles off the coast lobbing 16" shells right on top of whatever target was picked. trust me theres NOTHING that will ever compare to a Battleship
Oh,... but there is. There are many more cost effective, and far more accurate and powerful weapons delivery systems today.

Sometimes useful?,.... Maybe.

Obsolete?,.... Most definitely.

They are modern day Monitors.
February 5th, 2010  
wolfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
Oh,... but there is. There are many more cost effective, and far more accurate and powerful weapons delivery systems today.

Sometimes useful?,.... Maybe.

Obsolete?,.... Most definitely.

They are modern day Monitors.
There is? I gotta see it in action to believe it. ICBM's don;t count either, neither do space based laser platforms or missile platforms
February 5th, 2010  
senojekips

Try looking at the latest developments precision guided munitions and their delivery systems, or at cruise missiles, and then working out the cost of running a battleship and keeping it in the AO, while remembering that when the battleship is not actually engaging the enemy (which is probably less than 1 or 2% of the time on the line) it is still costing a squillion dollars a day just in running costs.

On top of which is the accuracy and range question. Modern weapons can give an individual enemy soldier an RDX enema from 600 miles plus.

If it were not for these things, the battle wagons would still be being built. Billy Mitchell showed exactly how vulnerable they were to air attack at the end of WWII and it has only got worse, a lot,... lot worse.
February 5th, 2010  
03USMC

Just a point Spike, Mitchell showed that Battle Wagons were vunerable to air attack after WWI.