Battlefield 2142 -Hey Redleg, can you answer a question please?

mmarsh

I starting this thread for Battlefield 2142 the sequel to Battlefield 2...

First, a Question for Redleg...

Will Milforums be hosting a ranked server for BF 2142 as it does BF2?

The game comes out tomorrow in the USA, friday for Europe.

Anybody have any thoughts, played the demo, or was part of the beta program?

I've been messing around with the demo. I not sure what to make of it I play Recon and frankly I think I prefer BF2 but I'll withhold final judgement. The problem with the demo is that the really cool things such as the unlocks and the player customization are not included so it doesnt feel like a major change. It feels more like a mod than a sequel. Snipers were always the gimped class in BF2 and with the bobbing rifle it harms us even more. I was also hoping we would get a PDW other than a pistol, but alas...

The graphics and sound are improved but are not stunning. I have only seen the one map (which stinks) but I hear there are others that are better (Verdun).

What I like: Dogtags. If you knife kill an oppenent you get his tags, very cool. Seems to be harder to score knife kills though. Airpower isnt uber-powerful, the days of 80 KPR are over. There are lots of anti-air assets from guns, EMP weapons, manpads, etc. Titans are powerhouses but slow, and I still have managed to sit in the 2nd gunners chair.

Last edited:
Manpads... sounds like something I could make use of on some of these 40 C 95% humidity days here to get back that "fresh" feeling.

First, a Question for Redleg...

Will Milforums be hosting a ranked server for BF 2142 as it does BF2?
Don't know yet, haven't tried the game.. :smil:
But it doesn't look as good as BF 2, so I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see how it is first.

The same as BF2 because the game is basically a FULL CONVERSION MOD

Dice decides what it see is best. It costs a huge sum of money to create a game based on a new graphics engine. Very much like Battlefield Vietnam whichi is based on the 1942 engine, BF2142 follows throught the same marketing strategy it had followed since 2002.

Mighty

Its BF2 with new character and weapons skins. Thet added a few new features but basically its an update.

The only reason I will buy it is because I like BF2 and still play it. As the BF2 severs upgrade to 2142 I will have to follow suit in order to find a game to play on.

Personally I dont like the 'future' era. I just don't get the same satisfaction of drilling someone with a futureistic gun than I do with my my trusty Lee-Enfield L85.

Dice decides what it see is best. It costs a huge sum of money to create a game based on a new graphics engine. Very much like Battlefield Vietnam whichi is based on the 1942 engine, BF2142 follows throught the same marketing strategy it had followed since 2002.

There was a massive difference in BF42 and BFV.... BF2142 is nothing more than another game mode and a a modification of BF2....

Yeah you can argue this forever.....

BTW it isnt DICE that decides it is ELECTRONIC ARTS...since they own DICE...From such a large company I would expect more....

Did you know though that BF2142 contains maleware...For the purpose of targeting advertisement....Sure they say they arent tracking anything else but please we all know how that works....But that aside they are charging the same price for the game and they are selling ad space...I thought the whole point of in game ads was to reduce the cost of games....

Furthermore why spend 50 bucks when there is mods for BF2 that will add hours of enjoyment to your existing purchase????

I say all this and sure at some point down the road I will probably by the game but it wont be anytime soon...

MM
You can still find servers for 42 and BFV I wouldnt worry about the BF2 ones disapperaing anytime soon, especially since the mods are starting to roll out...

POE isnt bad and DC will be sweet so will BF2 Appocalypse and the tons of other ones out there....

Last edited:
Donkey

For the moment yes, but 6 months from now?

I got 2142 yesterday, yes its not revolutionary but its fun.

Donkey

Look at your source again, Most of those Servers are Empty. Only the 1st page really have games going on other than clans. Getting a server on the network is easy, getting people to still play on them isn't. In 6 months you'll find BF2 servers but fewer players.

Donkey

Look at your source again, Most of those Servers are Empty. Only the 1st page really have games going on other than clans. Getting a server on the network is easy, getting people to still play on them isn't. In 6 months you'll find BF2 servers but fewer players.

Know my sources, I am a BF addict nerd from day one... For the past two years I have ran a site on mostly the Battlefield series and get around 2500-3500 Unique visitors a month...(I would say I would be some what of a BF expert)

I am telling you a game that is 4 years old still has around a 800+ servers that game monitor picks up... The game is far from done, BF2 will still be jamin for many a time to come...

Furthermore I dunno what you where looking at but the first two pages are now showing FULL servers...

Next your going to tell me that CS 1.6 will be dead too and that game is the worlds most popular multiplayer; it has been around since 1998...

By the way BF2 has like 6200 servers
http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?game=bf2

Last edited:
i just dont like the fact that BF2142 installs malware....... wtf?! i aint paying for a malware... lol

yeh if u buy it at amazon its 45 bux + free ship + no tax if ur not in NV and u get a free zip drive valed at 20..

What chaps my arse the most is not so much the adware/malware but the fact it is for regional advertising, ok so they advertise then tell me why is the game still 50 bucks.. You cant say it is for servers because people run their own and they cost a boat load too....

However with mods like Forgotten Hope 2 and Desert Conflict, just to name a few, coming out BF2 has a lot more life in it much like 42 did/does...

Plus there is a ton of new FPS games coming to market and personally I can't wait for Quake Wars and Operation Flashpoint 2....It's to bad EA got its hands on Crysis, they will probably mess it up...

Know my sources, I am a BF addict nerd from day one... For the past two years I have ran a site on mostly the Battlefield series and get around 2500-3500 Unique visitors a month...(I would say I would be some what of a BF expert)

I am telling you a game that is 4 years old still has around a 800+ servers that game monitor picks up... The game is far from done, BF2 will still be jamin for many a time to come...

Furthermore I dunno what you where looking at but the first two pages are now showing FULL servers...

Next your going to tell me that CS 1.6 will be dead too and that game is the worlds most popular multiplayer; it has been around since 1998...

By the way BF2 has like 6200 servers
http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?game=bf2

BF expert? Don't seem to be.

There are no ads in game besides the server graphics, which can be anything really, up to the host to chose. They said they will have ads but so far there are none. Shouldn't you as a BF expert know this?

And as a side note, DICE was still DICE AB untill a short while before the game was released, EA did not own DICE when they made BF2142.

Last edited:
Back