THE BATTLE OF SAINTE-MERE-EGLISE AND AFTER

Maksym Chornyi

THE BATTLE OF SAINTE-MERE-EGLISE AND AFTER

The Battle of Sainte-Mere-Eglise is among the most well-known episodes of the D-Day and the War in the West, in no small part due to Cornelius Ryan’s book and ‘The longest day’ movie. It took me two years after my own trip to Normandy and two months of researching and writing to put together this exhaustively detailed research of 15 000 words (forty A4 pages). I have used 120 books on D-day, 82nd and 101st Divisions, France, WWII, and probably every published source on Sainte-Mere-Eglise itself to tell the story of the battle and its aftermath, as well as sites of historical importance beyond in the vicinity. The material includes 99 archival photos, some published for the first time, and my own 2019 photos from the site to make a then/now comparison on your own.

I hope, this article would make sense to all military history enthusiasts and I would be looking forward to your feedback. Please, leave comments, ask questions, make corrections as your involvement gives me the energy to keep traveling, reading, writing, and sharing.

https://war-documentary.info/sainte-mere-eglise-1944/

sainte-mere-eglise-main.jpg

Back