Battle of COP Margah 30 OCT 2010 Afghanistan

Duty Honor Country

In the early hours of 30 OCT 2010, over 400 Taliban fighters attacked Combat Outpost (COP) Margah in the Patika Province, Regional Command (RC) East, of Afghanistan using the cover of bad weather. At the time, COP Margah was manned by a platoon of US forces and a company of Afghan National Army (ANA) for a total of about 100 troops. I was located 14 KM to the south at Forward Operating Base (FOB) Borris with 2 x M777 155mm howitzers. At the conclusion of the battle, we had killed 125 Enemy Killed in Action (EKIA) to our 5 light Wounded In Action (WIA). I firmly believed the press ignored this battle because we did our jobs in a combined arms fight, giving the enemy hell and not losing 1 Soldier.

COP Margah and FOB Boris no longer exsist so I feel that I can talk about the fight from my view as a Platoon Leader (PL) and Fire Direction Officer (FDO).

I will recount the events over a few weeks to allow my memory to remember everything. Below is a link to the US Army's article on the Battle.

US ARMY'S OFFICIAL ARTICLE

-DHC

Way to go! It's always good to hear when training and doctrine come together in real live fight. It may not be a bad idea to compose an article or critical AAR for the battle from your perspective as a FDO/PL and send it to the school house up at Sill. At the very least it could drive home the point to the BOLC students the importance of the 5 requirements when dealing with gunnery and also show how fires and maneuver have a complimentary relationship. Kudos to you, and I look forward to reading your posts!

Interesting Idea Brinktk. I will start with flushing out what I can remember. Feel free to ask questions on anything I post here. I will also upload photos to my member gallery to help explain things.

Interesting Idea Brinktk. I will start with flushing out what I can remember. Feel free to ask questions on anything I post here. I will also upload photos to my member gallery to help explain things.

I appreciate everything you guys do and I truly have the utmost respect for what you guys had to go through.

Honestly, I love you guys and regardless of how I feel about our country's leadership. I will always be on the side of our Military.

God Bless and you and your fellow soliders stay safe in your travels.

Back