Battle of the Battleships

View Poll Results :Which Battleship would you like to have been on in a battle?
New Jersey (Iowa etc) 22 37.93%
Hood 1 1.72%
Graf Spee 0 0%
Vanguard 0 0%
Texas 2 3.45%
Bismarck/Tirpitz 9 15.52%
King George V (Anson etc) 1 1.72%
Yamato (big mf) 18 31.03%
Nelson/Rodney 1 1.72%
Original Dreadnought 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

--

September 14th, 2004  
Rufus Excalibur

Topic: Battle of the Battleships

What were the best Battleships of the 20th Century. The epitomy of 'true' naval power (come on Carriers are not really naval ships!!)

I am a big fan of the King George V Class (Anson, Howe, Duke of York and so on) but New Jersey and her sisters had a blend of grace, beauty and power that seem hard to beat
September 14th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Whatever you do, don't stick me on the Hood. Dun wanna die!
September 14th, 2004  
c/Commander

The Iowa-class ships remaining during the Gulf War were the most powerful conventional warships in the world...they carried the same massive guns and added missiles. I vote Iowa-class.
--
September 14th, 2004  
Shadowalker

I would say the tirpitz and bismarck, no other battleships in history have probably caused as much concern/worry as those two did!
September 14th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

If I'm gonna run around on a Battleship and I have my pick, I gotta go with one with the biggest guns, best armor and greatest overall size. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Yamato takes first in all those.
September 14th, 2004  
Shadowalker

Yeah but that is gonna attract shells like bees to honey. (then again so is my choice)
September 14th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Well, if you're going into a tournament of 1v1 battleship combat (obviously you would be fighting those that existed at the same time), then you want the most overwhelming. That's going to either be the Yamato or the HMS Dreadnaught. My pick is mostly cuz I'd want to be on the biggest. The Dreadnaught is probably the most overpowering for its time though.
September 14th, 2004  
Shadowalker

You got any stats for the yamato, i agree size is good but i like the bismarck as the big girl did have a fair bit of speed which ifb it allows you to get more shells off between your enemys shots then thats always gd
September 15th, 2004  
Lupos

It really would have been cool to ride on a Dreadnaught.
September 15th, 2004  
SAINT

Yamato is very huge.. and safe. Of course, it's sunk anyway...
http://www.steelnavy.com/Yamato%20JG.htm