Battle of the Battleships - Page 8

View Poll Results :Which Battleship would you like to have been on in a battle?
New Jersey (Iowa etc) 22 37.93%
Hood 1 1.72%
Graf Spee 0 0%
Vanguard 0 0%
Texas 2 3.45%
Bismarck/Tirpitz 9 15.52%
King George V (Anson etc) 1 1.72%
Yamato (big mf) 18 31.03%
Nelson/Rodney 1 1.72%
Original Dreadnought 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

May 16th, 2006  
Yamoto vs Iowa

My money is on Yamato too, it outclassed Iowa on everything except speed.
May 16th, 2006  
I have to go for Yamato. Iowa would have had to hit her numerous times to be sure that she would sink, as Yamato was built to withstand hits from 16 inch guns. Yamato would have had to have hit Iowa once, and it is very likely that it would have been game over.

May 17th, 2006  
Yeah! Although Iowa is faster, but is it faster than the shells of the Yamato? I guess not.
May 19th, 2006  
I think it's mistake to compare Iowa with Yamato.
Iowa is big Battle-cruiser against enemy battle-cruiser alike Kongo class.
Comparing Montana or Sovyetskiy Soyuz with Yamato is right
or German "H" Class BattleShips.
May 20th, 2006  
I voted for the Bismarck/Tirpitz because of their aforementioned speed, and all of the havoc they caused in the Atlantic. And becuase I'm part German, haha.
May 20th, 2006  
HAh! Did the Brismarack sank on it's first trip?
May 20th, 2006  
Yes, but if I recall correctly the Tirpitz did not. And how many ships did the Royal Navy send to sink the Bismarck? It was a fairly large amount, I do believe.
May 20th, 2006  
I thought HMS Hood were the one who sunk Bismarck.
May 20th, 2006  
The Hood was sunk by the Bismark after being hit with... one? salvo from the Bismark's guns. How did the battle go? Bismark fired one salvo, came up short, fired a second salvo and hit the read of the ship, fired a third salvo and then the Hood was gone, only three sailors survived I believe.
May 20th, 2006  
The steering on the Bismark was effectively disabled by a torpedo from a Swordfish. So it was effectively an aircraft carrier with 'obsolete' aircaft which led to her subsequent demise. As regards to the actual sinking, see the comments above.

The Tirpitz hardly ever engaged in a battle, but the fear of her played on the mind of the Royal Navy, resulting in numerous air attacks, resources being diverted from other duties, and a convoy being (unnecessarily) scattered which was subsequently decimated by other forces.

Tirpitz was badly damaged by limpet mines from miniature submarines and eventually sank by tallboy bombs from Lancaster bombers when still in a Fjord.