Battle of the Battleships

Which Battleship would you like to have been on in a battle?

• Total voters
Damien435 said:
The Hood was sunk by the Bismark after being hit with... one? salvo from the Bismark's guns. How did the battle go? Bismark fired one salvo, came up short, fired a second salvo and hit the read of the ship, fired a third salvo and then the Hood was gone, only three sailors survived I believe.
Yeah but the Hood was oooold, if not obsolete.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
Yeah but the Hood was oooold, if not obsolete.

She was the product of appeasement, several times she should have been refitted with thicker outer hull armor and several times she was not because of budget shortfalls and an attitude that was very much against fighting another war, even if launching a war six months earlier would have saved tens of millions.

Of course, the sinking of the Yamato AND the Bismark were two of the biggest exclamation points telling the world, "The days of the dominance by the Battleships on the high seas are dead and gone." The Bismark was effectively trapped out to sea by the torpedo from an old piece of junk plane that was considered obsolete at that time. The Yamato never fought anything but planes and they took that terrifying monster out in ... what was it, an hour? Still, if your the USA and you pretty much have an endless supply of dive and torpedo bombers at your disposal and the Yamato has no airplanes covering whatsoever ... the result is a foregone conclusion.

Still, isn't it fascinating how those big monsters still fascinate us? All that destructive power, armor ... what's not to love?

I'll choose Yamato.Her armor made her a steelmaiden and her 460s can sink any ship on a very long range.
But it's only in shipbattle.If there is a bomber squadron in the sky I prefer to give it up.

Damien435 said:
She was the product of appeasement, several times she should have been refitted with thicker outer hull armor and several times she was not because of budget shortfalls and an attitude that was very much against fighting another war, even if launching a war six months earlier would have saved tens of millions.

No she wasnt, she was launched in 1918 before the end of WWI. That places her before the naval treaties of London and Washington. She was designed as a 'battlecrusier' not a 'battleship'. Battlecruisers carried the weapons of battleships but the speed of a Heavy Crusier. This at the expense of armor. The design was a total failure, because it simply couldnt take heavy punishment. Several other battlecruisers were destroyed by single hits in WWI such as the HMS Queen Mary and the HMS Inviciable. Not to mention HMS Hood in 1941.

I would go with the Iowa class BB's. I guess you could say I'm a homer. I was assigned to the Missouri in a reserve status directly after I was demobilized from Desert Storm. I immediately tried to get orders to it but they were turned down as the ship was already getting ready for decom.

Since the decom I have visited the ship several times and have had tours that you don't normally get when visiting.

What I found most interesting about the Missouri was that theyh were attacked by a kamakize during WWII and the damage exists to this day. The plane hid the starboard quarter and made a four inch dent that is about 5' long.

I think the Iowa class BB's were the best built and armoured better than the rest. I dont' think the armour was as thick on it as some of the competition but it was used more effeciently.

The wheel house is amazing to see, 18" of armour all the way around.

The gyro stabilized FCS was pretty impressive as well.

I'v been on the New Jersey, and I rather like it. Now with all the technolgy built into it, I think that it's second to none.

A 1 on 1 fight is also dependent upon many variables.... Sometimes a lucky hit will take down the best of anything.

mmarsh said:
No she wasnt, she was launched in 1918 before the end of WWI. That places her before the naval treaties of London and Washington. She was designed as a 'battlecrusier' not a 'battleship'. Battlecruisers carried the weapons of battleships but the speed of a Heavy Crusier. This at the expense of armor. The design was a total failure, because it simply couldnt take heavy punishment. Several other battlecruisers were destroyed by single hits in WWI such as the HMS Queen Mary and the HMS Inviciable. Not to mention HMS Hood in 1941.

It had the ability to be rapidly outfitted with thicker armor in times of need. Kind of like modular construction where you just take a piece off and replace it except in this case you could essentially take a piece of steel and hang it over the side. Obviously it's more complicated than that but I believe that is a really dumbed down description coming from a person from an Army family. (No nautical terminology in my vocabulary.) And no, this isn't something I picked up off some conspiracy theorist site, I read it in a book I was using for a report on the Bismark.

Back