Battle of the Battleships - Page 6

View Poll Results :Which Battleship would you like to have been on in a battle?
New Jersey (Iowa etc) 22 37.93%
Hood 1 1.72%
Graf Spee 0 0%
Vanguard 0 0%
Texas 2 3.45%
Bismarck/Tirpitz 9 15.52%
King George V (Anson etc) 1 1.72%
Yamato (big mf) 18 31.03%
Nelson/Rodney 1 1.72%
Original Dreadnought 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

--

May 12th, 2006  
perseus

Charge 7, I was about to post an almost identical description of the Bismarck, but you just beat me to it by a matter of hours. Strange since I had not seen this thread before!

All in all the Iowa class is largely regarded having the best all round ability, there is a comparative assessment on this site, although it is a bit theoretical. The distribution of the armour, the AA fire control, equipment redundancy and and damage control are all important factors. The American navy had excellent AAA on their ships in WW2 which was a good thing in view of the Kamakaze attacks.

http://www.battleship.org/html/Artic...uildBetter.htm

The worst ‘battleships’ after allowing for prractical factors were probably the British WW1 battlecruisers (although their problems were exacerbated by incorrect use), Deutschland class German pocket battleships (eg Graf Spee), Bismark class, and the Japanese Yamato class.

The details of Hoods demise (a ww1 design) is still confused. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Hood_%281918%29

The pocket battleships also had inadequate protection, although they were really designed for commerce raiding not trading shots.

Charge 7 has covered most of the Bismarck’s deficiencies. This ship stopped firing after about half an hour of the final battle due to the communication cables being smashed to pieces being above the armoured deck . Despite reports to the contrary, this source suggests there was only limited damage to the lower armoured portion and it may have been scuttled after all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_battleship_Bismarck

The Yamato class ships 18" gun blast caused structural damage and ripped off flesh and clothes of those standing to close. The sheer size of the hull meant few ports were big enough to take her. Battleships have to be judged not by their individual ability but also on the resources required to make, fuel, service and protect them, the Yamato class suffered poorly in all these areas, it was way too much for the capacity of the Japanese economy.

Of course all this is academic since the battleship was superseded by the Aircraft carrier by this time.
May 13th, 2006  
Charge 7

Nice post, Perseus. Well done.
May 13th, 2006  
mmarsh

The Yamato class ships 18" gun blast caused structural damage and ripped off flesh and clothes of those standing to close. The sheer size of the hull meant few ports were big enough to take her. Battleships have to be judged not by their individual ability but also on the resources required to make, fuel, service and protect them, the Yamato class suffered poorly in all these areas, it was way too much for the capacity of the Japanese economy.

I know about these defects but some of them were resolved. First of all her gun crews were given special type of clothing (including goggles and masks) in order to prevent this from happening. As for the structural Damage this was largly fixed by restrengthing her forward superstructure. As for her size it really wasnt as crucial because for example the Japanese didnt have to worry about crossing the Panama canal. If you look at the map you'll see Japanese Mainland is in range of the area she wished to conquer. Therefore she didnt need to fit into too many ports because she could merely return to Japan without too much bother.

There is no doubt that Yamato, Mushashi and Shinano were a tremendous drain on the Japanese economy. They were resource pigs, a particular problem as Japan was lacking in resources. My favorite fact was there was actually a shortage of fishing nets in Japan, as most of had been requisitioned by the Navy for Camofalage netting during her construction.

One point that you didnt mention as a fault. Yamoto couldnt fire a Full broadside, as the backblast of her 18' guns doing so would have capsized the ship.
--
May 14th, 2006  
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
One point that you didnt mention as a fault. Yamoto couldnt fire a Full broadside, as the backblast of her 18' guns doing so would have capsized the ship.
Actually, none of the BBs cold fire a "full" broadside. Every battleship had to either ripple or stagger fire their guns to avoid what they called "kissing". This was when the shells were too close to each other and they were knocked off course either by the shock wave of a nearby projectile or by touching another projectile. As a result, all of the guns were fired within seconds of each other, but never at the same time. Yamato was no different in that regard.

Dean.
May 14th, 2006  
Damien435

I think the Iowa class would mop up any of these other ships, they are all equipped with large guns but the Iowa class is the only one listed that has long range capabilities, I'm talking about AGM-84's, they make Yamato's 20 nm range seem miniscule by comparison.
May 14th, 2006  
zander_0633

I would like to use Yamato! You guys should see it in action!
May 14th, 2006  
tomtom22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander_0633
I would like to use Yamato! You guys should see it in action!
Me too!
May 15th, 2006  
zander_0633

Well, They had big guns and their technology was great!
May 15th, 2006  
bigcanada813

i would have liked to have been on one of the iowa's. they saw a lot of action in the pacific, and, correct me if i'm wrong, but they even excepted the japanese surrender. being on the iowa's would be like watching the history channel, but with a front row seat.
May 15th, 2006  
LeEnfield

HMS Nelson