Battle of the Battleships - Page 3

View Poll Results :Which Battleship would you like to have been on in a battle?
New Jersey (Iowa etc) 22 37.93%
Hood 1 1.72%
Graf Spee 0 0%
Vanguard 0 0%
Texas 2 3.45%
Bismarck/Tirpitz 9 15.52%
King George V (Anson etc) 1 1.72%
Yamato (big mf) 18 31.03%
Nelson/Rodney 1 1.72%
Original Dreadnought 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

--

September 30th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Ultimately, the very best choice would be the Dreadnaught IF only encountering battleships from the same time period. If we are looking at a situation where there is no limitation on time-period, Iowa or Yamato class is the only good choices IMO.
October 1st, 2004  
Animal Mother

Iowa class for me at least, best combinaton of speed, protection, range, firepower and FCS.
October 1st, 2004  
A Can of Man

I prefer to keep myself feet dry.
--
October 3rd, 2004  
curious

What? No mention of the Warspite!

Present at:

Jutland (1916) - at "Windy Corner", and hit 13 times by the German High Seas Fleet
Narvik (1940) - helped sink U64 and 8 German destroyers
Calabria (1940) - hit Italian flagship Guilio Cesare at a range of 14 miles
Matapan (1941) - helped sink Italian cruisers Zara, Pola and Fiume
Salerno (1943) - hit by German radio-controlled bomb
Normandy (1944) - close inshore bombardment (e.g. in support of Canadians at Juno)

Now, that's an interesting life!
October 6th, 2004  
battery

I've no idea what has happened in this thread, but i'd choose the Bismarck. It was the greatest battleship of it's time.
October 6th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Bismarck was tiny compared to the Yamato or an Iowa Class, but that ship was made of damn good steel.
October 9th, 2004  
KAMIKAZI

Ill give you a little fact, the Germans could have won the war if they didnt build the Tirpits and the bizmark, bacause I cant remember the exact figures but its something like they could have made 20,000 panzers out of both of them! and that would have been a massive impact on allied landing forces! meaning the Germans would be able to build more aicraft which could cripple ships, harbours and other aeroplanes meaning the Germans could have built a navy given enough time! funny huh
October 10th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Well, they were suckers for the whole glorious Battleship thing. Everyone was in WW2. Also, if they were hoping to win, they needed to take on the Royal Navy eventually. U-boats weren't going to achieve that victory on their own. Moreso, they needed to stick to task and not leave a hostile enemy at their backs. Poor Donetz was told he wouldn't have to take on the Royal Navy till '45.
October 10th, 2004  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMIKAZI
Ill give you a little fact, the Germans could have won the war if they didnt build the Tirpits and the bizmark, bacause I cant remember the exact figures but its something like they could have made 20,000 panzers out of both of them! and that would have been a massive impact on allied landing forces! meaning the Germans would be able to build more aicraft which could cripple ships, harbours and other aeroplanes meaning the Germans could have built a navy given enough time! funny huh
The Tirpitz and the Bismarck were both the first 2 ships of the Bismarck class of battleship, built and laid down as part of the Kriegsmarine Z-Plan. According to this plan, the Kriegsmarine would have grown to about 800 units, consisting of 13 battleships and battlecruisers, 4 aircraft carriers, 15 Panzerschiffe, 23 cruisers and 22 so called "Spähkreuzer" which were basically large destroyers. In addition to this many smaller vessels would have been built. Here's a good link:

http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmarine/zplan/

A very ambitious programme and one which they never could have completed. They even had to abandon the completion of their one aircraft carrier, the Graf Zeppelin.

However, had they conquered the Soviet Union who knows what may have happened. Such a fleet would have frightened the living sh*t outa the UK that's for sure.
October 11th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Well, the UK was probably doomed if the Soviet Union fell. After all, who is the #1 producer of steel in the world today? Lots of "what if's" for that war, aren't there?