The Battle Of Arnhem

03USMC

Just finished reading The Battle of Arnhem by Cornelis Bauer. It was written information provided by Lt Col T.A. Boeree.

For me it was eye opening in that most if not all of the books I've read about Market Garden were by Americans and the focus was of course mainly on Nijmegan and Eindhoven andthe 82nd and 101st, with an aside to 30 Corps and the British Paras.

Since this deals almost entirely with the Para's & German viewpoint I would recommend it to my fellow Americans in order that you get a more complete view of Operation Market Garden.

Last edited:
In UK - Arnheim was probably our most preciously held prides of the war. The airborne forces were still serving in our ranks into the fifties, and NOTHING drew more admiration from fellow troops than their insignia.

I am sure that Le Enfield will have something to say. I have never met him, but you may have noticed the respect I always show to his colours.
Here, this battle was a very big deal indeed. Salute.

Like I said, most of the WWII histories available or should I say widely available in the US deal soley with the US perspective. You really have to look to get perspective from the other Allied Nations. Strangely enough you can find alot from the German perspective and even a few from the Japanese perspective.

Most of the Market Garden books I have read were long on two things. The efforts of the 101st and 82nd and Monty bashing, with a little "Oh yeah some Brit Paratroopers and some unit called 30 Corps were also there." I knew the Para's were in Arnhem and 30 Corps was moving that way but that's about it. Oh and some bashing of 30 Corps for their advance not as much as the bashing Montgomery takes but close.

When I found this book I figured I'd give it a go, (also picked up a copy of The Battle of Britain by Marcel Jullian, haven't gotten to that one yet) figuring that it was probably a rehash but oh well.

I was wrong. It really enlightened me to the role of the Paras and just what they actually accomplished during Market Garden. The fight the Paras put up in Arnhem and Osterbeek has got to rank with the greatest holding actions in history. I have to admit that I now carry a certain high level of admiration and awe for those Paras especially (and this is just me) for Col. Frost and 2 Para.

So now at least when someone starts babbling in a semi educated manner about Market Garden and leaves out the Arnhem Fight I have a book to throw at them.

Also ordered Pegasus Bridge by Stephen Ambrose. Although I do wonder how even handed he'll be with that.

The issue I have with Ambrose is that for a historian he is too one sided and seems more interested in building a literary monument rather than an actual historical book that people can learn how the battle looked from either side of the conflict.

Exactly why I wonder how his perspective will be in this book. I've read a couple of his dealing with the American Perspective and he seems to get a severe case of tunnel vision.

The movie "A Bridge Too Far" was a more balanced presentation of the British involvement. Directed by Richard Attenborough, with Dirk Bogarde, Sean Connery, James Caan, Michael Caine. An historic telling of the failed attempt to capture several bridges to Germany in World War II in a campaign called Operation Market Garden.

Last edited:
It's based on the book which I also read and I think it was pretty well written. I read it along time ago so I don't know, my memory might be a little faded but it seemed balanced.

Great book and movie, the allies got sloppy and didn't plan well for market garden, they also underestimated the continued resolve of the German army late in the war.

Great book and movie, the allies got sloppy and didn't plan well for market garden, they also underestimated the continued resolve of the German army late in the war.

The Allied high command hoped on a shock-and-awe strategy, which might have worked. Unfortunalty the 9th and 10th SS heavy panzers divisions were sent there to re-equip and rest somewhat. The para's jumped with only light weapons and an occasional 6 pounder. None of which ever defeated a Panther or Tiger tank.....

In september 2004 there was the 60th commemoration of Market Garden and the battle standard of the platoon that fought in Arnhem (from the British 1st Para regiment) was admitted into Hotel Hartestein. (This is now the Arnhem war museum.)
This is very exceptional since all other standards rest in England, never before was a battle standard resigned abroad. It was so awesome to see those old soldiers salute their colors. And even more awesome was the respect they received from the current 1st para troopers (and civilians alike). I have never seen anything like it again! Afterwards everywhere you went you saw those iron oldies getting drinks from the serving men, who wanted to hear their stories.

Another moving story was about a German AA-gunner and a British paratrooper, who sat in a DC-3 that was blown from the sky in '44 by the German. They reconciled and talked the remainder of the day about that event. Tears and laughter exchanged each other.... it was very moving.

For the readers among you, try the book by Cornelius Ryan; a bridge too far (Yes, the movie is based on this book)

The Allied high command hoped on a shock-and-awe strategy, which might have worked. Unfortunalty the 9th and 10th SS heavy panzers divisions were sent there to re-equip and rest somewhat. The para's jumped with only light weapons and an occasional 6 pounder. None of which ever defeated a Panther or Tiger tank.....

In september 2004 there was the 60th commemoration of Market Garden and the battle standard of the platoon that fought in Arnhem (from the British 1st Para regiment) was admitted into Hotel Hartestein. (This is now the Arnhem war museum.)
This is very exceptional since all other standards rest in England, never before was a battle standard resigned abroad. It was so awesome to see those old soldiers salute their colors. And even more awesome was the respect they received from the current 1st para troopers (and civilians alike). I have never seen anything like it again! Afterwards everywhere you went you saw those iron oldies getting drinks from the serving men, who wanted to hear their stories.

Another moving story was about a German AA-gunner and a British paratrooper, who sat in a DC-3 that was blown from the sky in '44 by the German. They reconciled and talked the remainder of the day about that event. Tears and laughter exchanged each other.... it was very moving.

For the readers among you, try the book by Cornelius Ryan; a bridge too far (Yes, the movie is based on this book)

That respect confirms what I posted earlier regarding their standing here, post the event and ever since. One of our military treasures.

As to the outcome, at the time, soldiers spoke of the loss of the surprise element, rumoured to have been brought about by betrayal.

As to the outcome, at the time, soldiers spoke of the loss of the surprise element, rumoured to have been brought about by betrayal.

I am very not sure about that rumour. Of course the Germans has infiltrated the Dutch underground and their "Englandspiel" caught many resistance fighters. Especially those who entered the underground when the outcome of the war was pretty much determined and had no network.
The resistance at Arnhem was an experienced lot which made good pictures of both tank divisions. These were passed on but not taken into account. A British intelligence officer warned high command.... and you know the rest.

Last edited:
I can list a couple of good books about Arnhem to those interested on the subject which give another perspective:

Robert Kershaw 'It never snows in September' which is written from the German perspective. The Battle of Arnhem (The betrayal myth refuted) by Cornelius Bauer the Dutch perspective.

General Student the founder of the German Fallschirmjaeger wrote an article after the operation but I have never managed to get my hands on a copy. If anyone has a copy I should be really grateful if they would share.

Interestingly enough Arnhem was originally to be an American objective and for political reasons it is probably just as well it didn't end up being so.

There is a film made 6 months after the event including members of the Parachute Regiment who survived called 'Theirs is the Glory' which you can get online or from the Parachute Regiment Museum in UK - it used to be in Aldershot but they may have moved it now.

The plan was flawed from the beginning with the lifts being sent in over 3 days and not all the available transport being used. Had the RAF been allowed to deliver two lifts on the same day then the result may well have been different at the bridge.

The American objectives were too much for the size of the force and opportunites were missed. Notably the bridges at Nijmegen were not captured on day 1 and not all of the bridges were captured intact. That said the American paratroops did a hell of a lot more than could be reasonably expected.

Browning used a lot of transport for his HQ and by arriving on the ground was unable to influence events at a strategic level. A lot has been made of the radio issues but these were locally on the ground. Urquharts HQ had contact with UK through high power radios but because Browning was on the ground and not in contact with Urquhart's HQ decisions were not made that might have influenced the battle at Arnhem.

The HQ of Allied Army Air Support HQ had been closed prior to the operation and close air support was not available at Arnhem and other objectives from day 1.

Ultimately however it was the fact that the corridor was constantly being squeezed by the Germans that caused the British to be withdrawn - 30 Corps could not get enough men and supplies up the road corridor to enlarge the Bridge Head in time and the decision was made to withdraw what remained of the Paras, attached arms, glider forces, Dorsets and Poles that were holding out in the Oosterbeek Pocket. The Poles were parachuted in last and were holding Driel on the the other bank of the river. The Dorsets had come up the road and had crossed over the river as had some of the Poles.

In the film and book 'A Bridge Too Far' you might be forgiven for thinking that 30 Corps dragged their feet - however when you delve into the accounts and records you can see why the route from Eindhoven to Arnhem is called the 'The Devils Highway'.

The presence of the 9th and 10th SS whilst coming as a shock to the Paras was actually known to the allies as it had been gathered from enigma traffic at Bletchley Park and passed as an intel report forward. Montgomery should have had access enigma intell but Browning wouldn't have had. That said it says more for the Germans ability to reorganise and counter attack than just the presence of these two units that caused the allied failure.

Other books I might include are:

Arnhem by Gen Urquhart
A Drop Too Many by Gen John Frost
Arnhem Spearhead by J Sims
The Devil's Birthday by Geoffrey Powell
Remember Arnhem by John Fairley
Glider Lift by Louis Hagen
Arnhem 1944 The Airborne Battle by Martin Middlebrook
Arnhem a Tragedy of Errors by Peter Harclerode

Obviously this is a very quick potted history so please don't jump down my throat because I haven't mentioned every problem

Back