Basic Recon Course Attrition Rate?

Tovarish1

Does anyone know the approximate attrition rate for Marine Corps. BRC? And maybe tell me a little about what happens there and what the training is all about and the kind of training there is? Thanks.

BRC is alot of water time, surf negotiation, zodiac boats, beach survey, learning comm gear, land navigation, team movements, PT, swimming, PT more swimming and more PT with classes in between swimming and PT.

Don't know what the drop rates are currently but remember this. The class is made up of type A personality's who have gone thru selection , INDOC and RIP beforing going to BRC, they don't drop for no reason.

One was on "About.com" I know it's only semi-reliable but it said 100-110 people go to BRC and 80-85 people make it through. And another was on a USMC forum (didn't catch the name of it) but some guy said the attrition rate was high.

Most of the drops at BRC are medical or injury drops some of those are recyled into the next class. Some quit, but not many and it's usually do to mental stress rather than not being able to hack it pyschically. Remember this .......any MOS can screen and INDOC for Recon. Some non Infantry Types make it only to find out that life is far different than they expected and lacking exposure to an infantry enviroment go back to whatever MOS they came from.

Usually SF training or special operations wash outs happen because candidates aren't mentally prepared rather then physically prepared, so how do you get mentally prepared? You know for something like regular boot camp as well?

Learn first to accept stress and roll with it. Don't worry about it . Concentrate on one thing at a time.

Dang differences... Even though I don't know what to expect of myself, you people are better than search engines lol.

That makes sense actually. But at my age I got stuff like education and stuff so that's sort of important since that matters.

Well boot camp is pretty much testing you as to how well you can follow orders under tons and tons of pressure. Simulated combat scenario so it's gotta be made to stress you out.

You take it as it comes, you learn to deal with it or you don't. Worry about one thing at a time, complete the evalution and move on to the next.

Really it seems to me that you worry to much about failure.

I do... actually. Because I use to get yelled at all the time by my parents for getting bad grades in math and I just get nervous about failures like that.

The best thing is to always do your best. If you doyour best and fail, there is nothing to be stressed about, because you have done the maaximum possible and there is no more to do.

Back