Basic Military Requirements

AmericanGirl

In the Navy we have to take the BMR. Im just wondering if you guys in the Army and Marines have to take it to? If you do Im sure its a different version of ours. I'll be done with my BMR in two weeks...then on to the next class...firefighter.

What's the BMR? Is it the same as the BRM? (Basic Rifle Marksmanship)

If so then yes we do. You have to hit 23 of 40 pop-ups on a 300m (I believe it's 500m for the Marines and I think they have more targets as well) range to score Marksman, 30 to score Sharpshooter, and 36 to score Expert and be cool like me. :lol:

Redneck said:
What's the BMR? Is it the same as the BRM? (Basic Rifle Marksmanship)

If so then yes we do. You have to hit 23 of 40 pop-ups on a 300m (I believe it's 500m for the Marines and I think they have more targets as well) range to score Marksman, 30 to score Sharpshooter, and 36 to score Expert and be cool like me. :lol:

I am moving your topic to the "Joining The Military?" forum, this is more for questions relating to the board itself.

BMR= Basic Military Requirements.

Its like Navy 101...everything you need to know about the Navy. Your BRM is a Markmanship class, thats a totally different class... sounds like more fun.

:lol: Sorry, a little slow here this morning, didn't quite connect the title of your topic with the acronym.

I don't know about that (the BMR), so sorry again.

Redneck said:
:lol: Sorry, a little slow here this morning, didn't quite connect the title of your topic with the acronym.

I don't know about that (the BMR), so sorry again.

Thanks for clearing that up...I was getting a little worried bout you there for a sec. :wink:

Never fired on a 500m range before, but on the 300m I got 38 of forty pop-up targets with the A2 (not saying anything about grouping there, but I really have no idea what it was, apparently running out on the range to check your targets is the wrong answer :? :lol: ). Kind of funny though, the two I missed were actually the same target, one of the 50m ones. I missed the first shot, threw a hissy because I couldn't believe it and then squeezed of a second one, dang target just wouldn't go down, so there went my perfect score. :lol: I should probably work on that pressure thing.
20 rounds in a firing position (standing) and 20 in the prone unsupported, all iron sights.

The grouping we did was on a 25m range firing at a scaled 300m target, we used three-round magazines and had to get four rounds within a circle 4cm in diameter. Me being the amazing example of manliness I am got all six within a 2cm circle. :lol:

How about yourself?

Hey,...

I'm a Swiss Army Sergeant, I was just wondering, what size are these popups you guys shoot on 500 meters?

Greetz

Well, my brother is in the Army and his recruiter screwed him.
He didn't force him to go to the DEP meetings and didn't study.
I don't think Army even has a BMR because my brother didn't have to study crap.
He just went to Boot Camp and passed.

How true is that statement about pull ups? A few girls I met when I was at MEPS who were going to enlist in the Marines didn't say anything about doing pull ups. And we were together the whole time we were at MEPS....so I was just curious.

OpsSpec04 said:
How true is that statement about pull ups? A few girls I met when I was at MEPS who were going to enlist in the Marines didn't say anything about doing pull ups. And we were together the whole time we were at MEPS....so I was just curious.

Females do flexed-arm hang, males do pull-ups.

Your answer

No the Army doesn't have to deal with that. They aren't required to learn the history of the army. Basic has different training classes, military custom and respects. The Air Force does require you to know a good amount of it's history and back ground info to get promoted to SSgt. Hope that clears up some of it seeing as this seems to have turned into a marksmanship post.

Well, as far as BMRs to get into Basic in the Army, the physical standards go like this:

13 Push-ups in one minute
17 Sit-ups in one minute
1 mile in 8 minutes, 30 seconds

There's some basic drill, land nav and miltiary knowledge requirements before you're decided 'good to go,' but I haven't reached that point so I don't know what they do if you don't make it. Real simple stuff.

And for people in DEP under the Army, there's a correspondance course offered for DEP soldiers which will get you promoted up to PFC (E-3) from the start. The course is optional, and consists of land nav, combat lifesaving, effective writing and communication, and the like. I'm working on the land nav portion right now, and it's very in-depth. But that extra jump in pay (start out at $1,450 a month base pay versus $1,050-odd) is worth a little extra brain sweat for learning stuff you'll need to know in Basic anyways.

Hope this helped.

Back