Basic Fitness Assesment

ajpigger

Just wondering what the Basic Fitness Assesment was for other countries armies. Here in Australia ours is pretty easy, a soldier must complete two a year. There are different standards for different age groups/sexes but we do the following.
Pushups Test
Sit up test
2.4 klm run.
We also do a Combat fitness test which is going through a small obs course with rifle and webbing and a 15 klm timed march with webbing pack and rifle.
cheers

In the US Army, we do a "2/2/2" test. 2 minutes of push-ups, 2 minutes of sit-ups, and a 2-mile run. Like with your country, there are different standards for each gender. To complete Basic Training you have to pass this test and do something like a 20km road march (supposed to be 18km, but our drill sergeant couldn't navigate worth a damn lol so we did 25km).

USMC is a max set of pullups, 20 being the best, max set of situps in 2min 100 being the best, and a 3mi. run in under 28min w/ 18min being the best. also for us to get into our job school we need to complete 6 road marches. from 3mi. to 15mi. our instructors can navigate ;)

Canada:
2.4km in under 10 minutes.
as many pushup's, situp's, and chinup's as you can.
grip test 75kg
Thats just the pre-enrollment test

Basic training involes things like an obstacle course,swimming,marching,running,and field exercises.

We'd have alot less people in our army if everyone had to do the 2.4 in under 10. Most of us can do it but under 10's a good time. The 8 minute mark is when you know someone can realy run.

UK inital test requirements are

40kg carry over 100m
35kg Static lift
2.4k run.... 10.30 maximum
2 mins Sit ups .....50 minimum
2 mins Press ups .....35 minimum
9 mile TAB (CFT) carring 35Llbs, Weapon and Helmet... 1 hr 55 mins

After training we have a BPFA ( Basic Personal Fitness Assesment) and a CFT twice a year
Press ups, Sit Ups and 2.4k Run

I forgot what the hell it was for the US Army, but for South East Florida law enforcement. (This is to get into the academy. You can go in as a member of a department or pay your way through and than apply to a department.)

Physical Evaluation
Psychological Evaluation
Lie Detector Test
Criminal background Check
FBAT (Florida Basic Assesment Test)
CJBAT (Criminal Justice Basic Assesment Test)
and the PAT (Physical Assesment Test)

The PAT is a 5 min - 4sec test

You start in a patrol car with both hands on the wheel
Jump out of the car and do a dexterity test (Move both hands to either side of your waist)
Run to the Trunk of the car and grab both a radio and a Rubber Duck (Training Gun)
Run 200 yards
Jump a 24 inch wall, 12 inch wall, and a 18 inch wall
Go under a six 18 inch hurdles in a six foot distance
Run 150 yards to a 150lbs Dummy
Pick up the Dummy by placing your arms under it's arms and raising it to your waist (it's head must be about where your neck starts.)
Stepping backwards you drag the dummy 150 yards
Place the Dummy down and run the 150 yards back to the a six 18 inch hurdles
Go under the hurdles again and jump the walls again
Run the 200 yards again
Return to the patrol car and pull the trigger of the training gun six times in each hand
place both the radio and rubber duck (training gun) in the trunk
Sit back in the driver's seat and place both hands on the wheel.
That is when the time stops

You have to do all of this under the allotted time and you cannot drop the radio or training gun. If you do, you have to redo the section that you dropped either item again and time will not be paused for it.

Alot of people flunk out because of that. Or they get second thoughts of what they're getting themselves into.

Last edited:
In the Canadian Forces, you are supposed to do a 2.4km run, but we only do a 9 minute step test which increases in pace every 3 minutes to test our cardio.

For men, the minimim requirement for push ups is 20 minimum. The minute you start slowing down, the instructor stops you. For situps, the minumum is 19, but it's however many you can do in a minute. The grip test has to be 80kg both hands combined.

I'm not sure on the exact figures for women.

It's a fairly easy entry exam. Once course starts however, it's much harder.

Just keep at it.

When I first started training for the army, I used to run for a minute then I had to stop because I was out of breath.

I started running every day. Every day I pushed myself farther and farther. Today I am up to 8km.

The same with push ups. Although I can't do as many as I used to do on course, it's all about practice. I started doing 20, then that turned into 30 and by the time I started basic I was doing 40, and by the time I finished my trade course I was up to 60 non stop.

hmmm , would love a deeper descriptionyou dont mind Trooper 8)

For example, I keep doing 20 push ups(I can do more) but thats when I start to feel that i cant push anymore. I have been doing it for quite some time, and never seem to be improving..

As for the fitness and stamina, well, how do I improve it during, lets say for example 3 months.. is that possible?

thanx

Like I said, if you want to improve, do it every day. Do it when you have free time. Push yourself man. Give yourself motivation.

if an instructor yelling at you that he will give the whole platoon 30 pushups because you can't do 25, I dont know what will ;)

On a serious note. Just keep doing it. You won't see a difference in a week. It may take a month. It may take 2. It all depends on how often you do it, and how your body works.

Also, don't bother eating pizza and drinking beer, and then do 20 push up's the next morning. That isn't going to do a thing for you. That won't even burn off the calories. Eat healthy. Work out every day and you will see a difference. You won't even notice it until you pop off 50 push ups without breaking a sweat. Trust me.

Good luck dude. :tank:

heh, thanks , but hey I still got questions!

hmm ok, this is what i do, 20 push ups each day.. so in a week, its 20*7 , so thats 140 push ups per week. Anyway, basically, is 20 push ups a day going to help?
Also, what should I eat?? I mean I cant live without junk food.. no sir cant 8) what else is there thats just as tasty and fulling? heh
And I dont have a fat or over weight body, calculations indicate that I am just fine.. you know, when you calculate your height and weight and play around, forgot how you do it..

and thanx :)

Go on the net and find a program there are thousands out there. Its no good just doing 20 push-ups a day. your body works best doing structured sets and reps. As I said before the net is full of advice get out there and have a look.

Back