Basic Fitness Assesment

MightyMacbeth said:
heh, thanks , but hey I still got questions!

hmm ok, this is what i do, 20 push ups each day.. so in a week, its 20*7 , so thats 140 push ups per week. Anyway, basically, is 20 push ups a day going to help?
Also, what should I eat?? I mean I cant live without junk food.. no sir cant 8) what else is there thats just as tasty and fulling? heh
And I dont have a fat or over weight body, calculations indicate that I am just fine.. you know, when you calculate your height and weight and play around, forgot how you do it..

and thanx :)

If you can do twenty push ups, why can't you do twenty-one? That is the key. You want to increase the amount of push ups you can do in one set to improve your strength. Constantly strive to inflate the number of push ups you can do otherwise you will not improve.

I would also not recommend running every day to start. Run every other day and let your body, muscles, joints and feet ease into it. Running is the same as push ups, if you can only run 1/4 of a mile before you are out of breath so be it. Start running that 1/4 of a mile and once you start to notice you are not as out of breath as you once were increase your distance.

They key to progressing is to simply get out there and do it and keep doing it until you're improving. Do not stagnate at what you can do easily, push yourself to do more and go farther each time.

As Trooper has told you, eat healthy. If eating junk is a priority over health and fitness, so be it. Do not be surprised if you do not improve, however.

140 a week is pretty ordinary if you're trying to get good a p'ups. 140 a day is still not many. Find the time it takes for you to recover from doing p'ups and then work around that. if it takes you 5 minutes to be able to push out another 20 p'ups start allocating time so you can do maybe 5 sets of 20 to start then work up on that. Often when w'eve not got much on we'll do the 8 hour challenge. 50 p'ups every half hour for 8 hours. Good way to push yourself. And its not like you need any equipment or anything to work on p'ups just drop and do them.

hmmm, seems I need some fixed schedule or something.. So anyway, 20 ups and keep increasing.. you see , the problem is I dont know when and how much i should icrease and start.. and do you mean that I have to push myself to the limit?? I think if I did I would reach probably somewhere near 25-30..

And for the fitness, well the problem is I dont know how to stadly increase my preformance and ability, same goes for push ups..
I dont know where to start, say for example, for the first time, how much should I run and when to start increasing.. same goes for push ups..

thanx

Also, what should I eat?? I mean I cant live without junk food.. no sir cant :cool: what else is there thats just as tasty and fulling? heh
And I dont have a fat or over weight body, calculations indicate that I am just fine.. you know, when you calculate your height and weight and play around, forgot how you do it..

Listen to Rendr. He knows what he's talking about. Also, get used to no junk food. Seriously. Once you join, there isn't going to be any golden arches in line for chow dude.

Get used to Salad. It will be your best friend.

And for the fitness, well the problem is I dont know how to stadly increase my preformance and ability, same goes for push ups..
I dont know where to start, say for example, for the first time, how much should I run and when to start increasing.. same goes for push ups..

That all depends on you train. How far can you run and how many push ups can you do right now?

Tomorrow do one or two more push ups. Run a few meters more.

The next day, run a few more meters. Push a few more push ups.

Some people say not to push yourself, but it's how I trained. It is personally the best way to do things. There is a slight cause for injury, but as long as you eat right, and stretch properly before you run or do your exercise, you will do fine.

I went through 11 weeks of courses with instructors each trying to be more hardcore than the last. Exertion is how we learned.

It's not for everyone, but it works.

But on a level note, just keep increasing what you do every day. It builds endurance.

Last edited:
ok, so I increased my push ups to 25 ones today :) I just jumped on to the floor, hit the ground, push up stance, and one two three.. tweeenty fiiive!
So you mean the I should to about 27 tomorrow?? I dont think I can.. thats the problem.
Also, I do eat salad, but also meat and stuff... but you dont mean that I should be a vegitarian right?
And oh, whats the benefit or the outcome of doing push ups?

thanx :) I think I am joining a club this summer..

And oh, whats the benefit or the outcome of doing push ups?

The benefit? Upper body strength. The outcome? You wont be a bag of $hit on course.

And no, you don't have to be a vegetarian. Just lay off the fatty foods and booze. They will do nothing but bring your physical condition down.

noted..

but fatty foods? heh, like? Burgers? and ok, should I completely stop eating these kind of things or just slow down a bit? twice a week?

MightyMacbeth said:
noted..

but fatty foods? heh, like? Burgers? and ok, should I completely stop eating these kind of things or just slow down a bit? twice a week?

try more like twice a month. when I did my fitness test for the army reserves I only got 40 pushups in then I went home and did as many as I could a day. Now I can do 60 pushups non-stop. I'm going for 100.

hmmm I see..
Ok, so what should i eat then?
And oh, now I try doing 25 push ups at the evening, and then after a few hours 20 push ups before I sleep. And I was wondering, is this good? ok? should I keep going like this?

thanx :)

MightyMacbeth said:
hmmm I see..
Ok, so what should i eat then?
And oh, now I try doing 25 push ups at the evening, and then after a few hours 20 push ups before I sleep. And I was wondering, is this good? ok? should I keep going like this?

thanx :)

Try to do two sets of 25. So for example, so 25 pushups, then go do some situps, come back and do 25 more pushups (or until muscle failure), then your last set of situps. You'll increase the amount pushups/situps you can do much faster.

You need to eat a lot of protein if you're trying to up your strength. Carbs too, but don't take in too many after 2pm. Meats, eggs, fish. Eat some vegetables, they're good for you. You'll also want to take in some potassium, it helps with muscle growth, so get yourself some bananas.

Biggest thing is just eat right. Don't go for the overly fatty foods. Eat a good breakfast, lunch, dinner. Intead of that McMuffin, have some cereal or some breakfast bars. Instead of that hamburger at lunch, make a cold cut sandwich or a peanut butter sandwich. For dinner, have some chicken, vegetables, bread. Make your snacks healthy or at least productive as well. Beef jerky, yogurt, pudding, cheese, nuts, protein bars, etc.

If you're really trying to build up muscle, look into getting some whey protein shakes. If you have GNC, they have a good store brand that isn't too expensive. Comes in a big container, get the flavor you want and I usually mix it with milk.

MightyMacbeth said:
But for the situps, how much exactly?

How many can ya do? Start with as many as you can do +1. As somebody else mentioned, always try to squeeze that extra one out, that's how you increase your numbers. So ya do 40 situps and push out that 41. Then suddenly 41 isn't so hard. Then you're doing 41 +1, now you're at 42 and that's rough, but like before, eventually 42 is easy. And on and on.

I see..

okays. Anyway, how many days should I be doing 2 sets of 25 push ups? I have just begun, probably 3 to 4 days, and I will start my 2 sets of 25 today, but till when? thanx

MightyMacbeth said:
I see..

okays. Anyway, how many days should I be doing 2 sets of 25 push ups? I have just begun, probably 3 to 4 days, and I will start my 2 sets of 25 today, but till when? thanx

If your body isn't in that bad of shape, I'd say do them every day. When you get up, and before bed, and any free time you have during the day.

The thing about fitness is you don't stop. You always continue your regimen. If you stop then in time, you'll become weak again. So if you want to be in shape plan on exercising forever.

The stronger and more fit you get, the more you can change your routine but for now your focus is on gaining and you'll have to work a little harder than if you were just maintaining.

PJ24 said:
If your body isn't in that bad of shape, I'd say do them every day. When you get up, and before bed, and any free time you have during the day.

The thing about fitness is you don't stop. You always continue your regimen. If you stop then in time, you'll become weak again. So if you want to be in shape plan on exercising forever.

The stronger and more fit you get, the more you can change your routine but for now your focus is on gaining and you'll have to work a little harder than if you were just maintaining.

If you do it this way, do it at least 2hrs before you go to sleep. Other wise your brain might be too stimulated to let you sleep, in effect you could get sleep deprivation which wouldn't help you at all. This is just what i was told by a Nurse.

interesting..

I actually do the second set before sleeping heh..

I might be asking quite alot huh?
anyways, my concern is, when do I increase the number? I mean I think my limit is 25, because I already shake.. 8)

MightyMacbeth said:
interesting..

I actually do the second set before sleeping heh..

I might be asking quite alot huh?
anyways, my concern is, when do I increase the number? I mean I think my limit is 25, because I already shake.. 8)

Personally, i try to go until i literally can't get back up. That way you know you gave it your all. My routine leading up to enlistment is one day i will do 20 sit-ups, 10 push-ups, rest a minute then do it again, i do that 4 times through. I remember when i started i couldn't do more then 2 push-ups so i can say that if you keep up with it, it does work. Also i only do this every second day, the other day i run for 30 minutes. also throw in one or two rest days a week to give your body time to rest. Like everyone has been saying diet is important, but so is sleep. Making sure you get enough sleep is important because it ensures your body has time to rest and heal. Good luck

Back