Baseball records and roids

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
ruthdiditonhotdogs.jpg

Barry bonds is welcomed. :mrgreen:

Should all these heroes of late have an asterisk next to their name in the record book? Or better yet, let them keep playing as MLB still has their head up their 4th point on the issue but strip them from all record books?

"Ruth did it on hot dogs and beer."
Gives me confidence in my own physical training routine, yo Cadet Henderson, grab me a six pack and lets go for a run!
:jump:

That's a hilarious pic, I didn't even see that. :mrgreen:

I am by no means a Bond fan, but I think the jury's still out on that one. I mean, yeah, everyone's claimed he took steroids, but is there any conclusive proof (i.e., smoking gun video, positive test)? I don't know what to do about McGwire, though -- he freely admitted he took andro, but it wasn't a prohibitted substance back then.

Prohibited or not the fact is he was doing something the boys from back in the day didn't so to compare them on the same record sheet is unfair to say the least. No one can say that if they had known about the stuff back then they wouldn't have taken it but the fact is they didn't and now they are being compared alongside beasts of veternary science.

McGwire is a nice guy but he cooked the books pure and simple whether it was banned or not. My 2 cents.

I see your point, but then you could extend that argument such that no sports records should be broken. The technology of the sports equipment has changed such that today's athletes have a distinct advantage over previous generations, putting aside the fact that today's athletes are generally in better shape.

I know, andro may not have been banned, but it wasn't exactly a thing used in the spirit of the sport. I'm just saying that a line has to be drawn somewhere -- and in my opinion, it should be what's explicitly off limits -- otherwise all records and athletes are subject to scrutiny. It's almost like the whole thing with Roger Maris having an asterisk after his name because he hit his 61 home runs in 162 games, and not 154.

I see your point as well. I am coming around to see baseball of today and 50+ years ago as two entirely different sports in terms of athletes and technology/medical/veterinary science.

We can at least agree on that! :)

Not that I don't like discussing this with the 'Dogg, but what about the rest of y'all?

1.) Remove any regulations on what kind, shape, size, or composition of bats players may use.

2.) Pitchers can do any darn thing they want to with the ball. As long as it remain roughly spherical and hits the strike zone.

3.) As long as it isn't banned on the federal level, put any godforsaken thing in your body you want to.

Now we'll see the records fall!

Feh. I gave up on MLB years ago. The substance abuse and all the talk of asterisks just reenforcement that decision. I'll stick with college and semi-pro sports. Here's the parallel I see: kids are pretty decent people before the world gets ahold of them. After that, who knows what direction they'll go. College and amateur/semi-pro athletes haven't had as much of a chance for the system to pervert them. I just don't have the time for alleged adults who want to complain that six or seven figure salaries aren't enough and who are in the highest percentile of physical shape and possess God-given talent yet have to try to artificially enhance said gifts. [/rant]

Last edited:
You might be right but in my high school in 1986 we had kids, 13 for sure, that were using steroids on the football team. The corruption starts a lot younger than I think most people realise and its been going on for some time now.

I think the problem goes back to the almighty dollar. Sports has become so commercialized that everyone (current athletes, minor leaguers, kids with potential, etc.) feels the pressure to succeed so they can make that dollar, and will sometimes (often?) resort to enhancements to improve their chances.

The records made in the 80's and 90's should have astericks next to them to indicate "under suspicion of using steroids".

Well, sir, that would be contrary to the whole "innocent until proven guilty" judicial system we have. Not that baseball needs to be held to that standard, but it is a major part of our social fabric.

Back