Which barrel for the M4? The 14.5" or 16".

Keist IV

I am looking at purchasing an M4 but I am not sure of which barrel to get. I have read the stats on the ranges and rifling and yada yada of the different barrels but I am looking for your professional opinions as to which barrel is better along with your experience of range, handling, etc. :rambo: Thanks for the info if I get any.

Right now I do not think you are able to get one with a 14.5" barrel. The assalt weapons ban made any rifle barrel under 16" illegal except for goverment use. If I remember correctly, the ban is about to expire soon. If that happens, you maybe able to get your hands on a 14.5" barrel

The one I was looking at had the pre-ban adjustable stock and has a 14.5" barrel but has a 1.5" flash suppresor on the end to make it a "legal" 16" barrel. I could get that one or a civilian M4 with the actual 16" barrel. What are the maximum effective ranges between the two?

Time said:
My opinon don't buy it, get yourself an M-16, because the balance on the M4 sucks.

Don't knock it until you have used it. I used the M-16 in Basic Training, training, the M-4 for 4 years of active duty and the M-16 in Iraq. I would have prefered to have the M-4 in Iraq. The M-16 is not fun to handle in a vehicle and I miss the buttstock of the M-4.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check this site out

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/rifleperformance.msnw

It doesn't have anything about range, but it does compair muzzle velocity. It seems you are getting a slightly higher muzzle velocity with the 16" barrel.

Hope this helps

SSG Doody

Edit: Do not post back to back. Use the edit function to add to your post instead.

Back