Barbaro well enough to go outside

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://sport.monstersandcritics.com/horseracing/printer_1190252.php
By TSN
Aug 14, 2006, 19:00 GMT

Kennett Square, PA - Doctor Dean Richardson, chief of surgery at the George D. Widener Large Animal Hospital, reports that Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro is taking short trips outside of his stall in the ICU.
'We felt he was ready for a change of scenery, so last week we took him outside to pick his own grass,' said Dr. Richardson. 'Hes not outside for a long time, but its enough to let him enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. If he remains this comfortable, he will be hand-grazed daily.'
Nearly three months since suffering a career ending injury to his right hind leg, Barbaro is making strides in his recovery.
'Im very pleased with his progress,' said Dr. Richardson. 'His appetite remains strong, he sleeps well, and we continue to monitor him closely. He is measurably gaining weight and his overall attitude is great.'
The three-year-old colt is also recovering from laminitis of his left hind foot. It was noted last week that the wall of Barbaro's left hind foot has been growing back.
Roy and Gretchen Jackson, owners of Barbaro, had more good news this past Saturday with another of their three-year-olds. Showing Up went wire to wire at Arlington Park to win the $400,000 Secretariat Stakes on the turf.

eh, I've been living with horses all my life. my brother does laminitis research at LSU. Laminitis is damn near impossible to cure- (it's a swelling to the laminae tissues in the leg/foot of a horse) the horse's career is through. I wouldn't get on the animal for as much as a walk around the pasture.

Aside from that, the causes of laminitis are many- founder, injury to the laminae, etc. It's a crippling injury, no matter what the press release says.

it's all about the Stud Fees. if the horse can breed.. dude.... that is some serious $$$$$$$$$.. but he needs his legs to breed.

Yay!!! I'm glad he's doing so good. I cried when he went down. And not just because I bet he would win, either. LOL

Back