Banning Soda and Junk food at Schools

should we ban soda and junkfood from schools?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not sure

• who cares

• Total voters

Duty Honor Country

In connecticut, the state government passed a bill banning soda and junk food from all public schools. The Govenor says she may not sign it siting she thinks the decision on a ban on soda and junk food should be left up to the individual school districts.

READ MORE ON THE CT BAN

So should we ban soda and junkfood from schools?

It's a little extreme....

If they are blamming the junk food in schools for kids being fat, they are morons.

It's the parents' fault.

I think its more then just the parents fault. Some of it is genetic. If your whole familiy is overweight and then there really is no way around being overweight as a child. By the way voted"no".

I think the genetics thing is an excuse.

Anybody can be healthy and normal weight if they try hard enough.

Your probably right. By the way I hope no one got the impression that I'm overweight, cause I'm not. Not that there's anything wrong with being overweight.

definaty bann, our U.S. citizens are getting so fat its gross. i personally stay away from the junk and go to the gym 3 days a eek now, but in the summer i will go 6 days a week and bike 3 miles to the gym.

i think junk food should defenitly be banned. not only is it making kids fatter, but ive noticed that every year the freshmen at my highschool have been getting shorter as well. i blame it on the hot cheetos and coke... and coca cola. :D There are much better alternatives than the crap being served in public schools nowadays. my school district is already going to get rid of the soda machines on campus starting next school year i believe.

hicks said:
I think the genetics thing is an excuse.

Anybody can be healthy and normal weight if they try hard enough.

It has been siencificly proven that there is a gene defekt that can cause weight problems.

I think its a good thing, its not just about being over weight its about diabetes, alot of sugger and juck food mixed togather increases the chance of getting diabetes ten fold!

Diabetes is a serious desease, its not a wolk on roses.

i voted no because i buy junk food and soda from the machines nearly everyday and im not fat. as long as you do enough exercise to kinda even it out you're fine. the fat people just dont do that though... :roll:

AlexKall said:
It has been siencificly proven that there is a gene defekt that can cause weight problems.

And it's also scientifically proven that when you diet, regardless of "genetic" excuses, you will lose weight.

No matter what, if you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight.

I think that junk food and soda should not be banned from schools. The students should get to choose to have a healthy lifestyle not be forced to. And do they think that if they ban that stuff its gonna make the kids more fit? Probably not. Instead they'll come to school with other sweet and fatty foods. I say if they want to make the students healthy, gym 3 times a day!

I find myself on the side of banning soda and junk food from schools. I have been in some school lunches where papa john's, McDonalds and KFC are actually in the damn schools. You cannot seriously say those establishments are healthy. As the picture states above (I really got a kick out of it 8) ), there is a problem with American kids being thick and chunky. Cutting out the large amounts of sugar and fried food that are served at school lunches is one step in the right direction.

Doody said:
I find myself on the side of banning soda and junk food from schools. I have been in some school lunches where papa john's, McDonalds and KFC are actually in the damn schools. You cannot seriously say those establishments are healthy. As the picture states above (I really got a kick out of it 8) ), there is a problem with American kids being thick and chunky. Cutting out the large amounts of sugar and fried food that are served at school lunches is one step in the right direction.

I dont agree in most cases obesity is caused by lack of activity not what you eat. I personally think this is an area of parental responsibility and not a job for schools.

How about banning PS2's and Xboxs as I think they are just as responsible for weight gain as McDonalds and KFC.

My sophmore year in high school, they signed a contract with Pepsi and they placed about 10 bottle machines throughout the school. The school got to keep 25 cents for every bottle, plus Pepsi gave us a new scoreboard for our football and basketball team.

The junk food though, we didn't have machines, but during lunch you could buy it from the school store.

I voted "no" because I always buy junkfood and always ask the lunch lady for extra fries and I weigh 110 lbs :( Anyway I think PS2s and XBOXs are just as much at fault as Taco Bell and Mcdonalds. I think junk food is ok if you don't eat it every meal.

only 110?!
im 155 dude....
most of its muscle though, its all about evening the food out with exercise :)

Ya im a small guy too. 14, 100 lbs. But i am a pretty damn fit guy considering. And i eat a lot of junk. Its all about your exercise. Most of your time is spent out of school. So out of school is when youll most likely get your junk. Taking away the students pop and chips wont make a diff. And its a nice treat after youve worked your ass off all day. If they really wanna push forward with this ban though maybe they should just take it to a lower degree. Instead of putting in a dollar to get your junk, you should need tokens. You should go to the office, trade your money for tokens and sign your name. And you can oly use so many tokens per week. Then they can control the amount of sugar intake instead of trying to eliminate it completely. I hope this makes sense. Im really tired and i cant put words together to well if i havnt rested in awhile. sorry.

Back