Bangladesh poised to hike garment wages, but may not end strikes

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
By Shyamantha Asokan DHAKA (Reuters) - Bangladesh's garment factory owners are penciling in a minimum wage increase of about 50 to 80 percent and will ask retailers to pay more to defray the cost, as the government tries to end a wave of strikes that hit nearly a fifth of workshops last month. The world's second largest clothing exporter hopes to announce a new minimum wage early next month, bowing to international pressure after a string of fatal factory accidents that thrust poor working conditions and pay into the spotlight. ...

More...

And so they should, these people live and work in **** conditions while the big retailers make millions a day. It is a modern day slavery nothing else. I have been travelling S E Asia for a few years and it amazes me to see the social ladder put to so much us. I see on a regular basis people starving in India and begging for food, and people just walk by as if they are not there. Its true what they say in India the Fatter you are the more wealthy people think you are. Good on those people getting more wages but now they should get better working conditions . www.steveosbornebritisharmy.com

Back