Ban on "assault weapons".

c/Commander

Does everyone here know about the federal ban on so-called "assault weapons" that Congress is attempting to extend? Well let me shoot it down for those of you who do know about it.

Reasons that the ban is useless:
Ergonomic and convenience features such as a flash suppressor, a pistol grip, and a detachable magazine do not affect the lethality of a weapon as much as what's inside said weapon. Most deer rifles that I've fired will do more damage to, say, a grapefruit than an M-16 will. Even an easily available Beretta 9mm pistol will do more damage to a target than most "assault weapons" will. If I want to put a folding stock or a pistol grip on a weapon, who is Congress to say that I can't (assuming I'm old enough to own a weapon). Congress is getting way too far outside of its bounds and someone needs to put on a demonstration for them. 2 grapefruit or melon targets, firing an "assault weapon" and an easy to buy semiautomatic hunting rifle. I think that the ban will be lifted VERY quickly.

NOTE: I DO NOT oppose the ban on automatic weapons. But since every semiauto weapon can be made into an auto with a little work, this ban is pointless as well.

GuyontheRight said:
Sure they can ban assult weapons, just take them from the criminals too ;)

which will be close to impossible since the government is failing to stop criminals to get weapons anyways.

Nice topic guys ,

The assault weapons ban is just plain 'useless' as was previously stated. It does nothing but infringe upon my rights as a law abiding weapons collector. The only way the law will NOT be renewed is if enough of us who vote , stand up and say enough is enough!! There is a real good sample letter which you can write in the Shotgun news that is written by the owner of Fred's sales(Fred I assume)....he also opines abit on the issue....As a voting conservative I intend to let my views be heard by the senators here in TX , normally I vote republican but if this is renewed under their watch(remember this was Slick Willie legislation passed in 1994)....there will be alot more deserters from the Republican party than they will gain by trying to woo the black vote......Clinton himself attributed a loss of 20 -25 seats and control of congress to the passage of this law back in 1994 , but it is all in that Fred's ad in Shotgun news.

Back