Baltic Nations

--
Boots

March 12th, 2005  
Snauhi

Topic: Baltic Nations

Ok everybody knows that 9th may Russia will celebrate victory over Nazi Germany, alsmost every president will come to the celebration, but president from Lithania and Estonia will stay at home.. What do you think about this, I thinktha Russia should cut oil and gas away from them.
March 12th, 2005  
Xion

Presidents from what all countries ?
Why will the Presidents from Lithuania and Estonia won't come ?
Some background info. would help, is there some kind of Cold War going on between those countries and Russia ?
All I know is they were part of the Soviet Union U.S.S.R. and now the CIS.
March 12th, 2005  
Snauhi

Here is some info.

http://pravda.us/world/20/92/372/15084_victory.html
--
Boots
March 12th, 2005  
Corocotta

Topic: Re: Baltic Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauhi
Ok everybody knows that 9th may Russia will celebrate victory over Nazi Germany, alsmost every president will come to the celebration, but president from Lithania and Estonia will stay at home.. What do you think about this, I thinktha Russia should cut oil and gas away from them.
I guess it is because in their minds is more fresh Stalinīs repression than Naziīs.Remember that soviet troops left Baltic nation in the 90s
March 12th, 2005  
serbianpower

Topic: Re: Baltic Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauhi

all small nations that never had their own country do that kind of s**t.
March 12th, 2005  
Charge 7

Uh, they had their own country before Stalin swallowed it up. So they don't want to go to the celebration. So what? Why sour relations with them over not wanting to go to a parade? I think there's things of bigger consequence.
March 12th, 2005  
serbianpower

[quote="Charge_7"]Uh, they had their own country before Stalin swallowed it up.

yup, and it lasted for 20 years. I dont think that erecting monuments to nazis, and not going to celebration which comemorates victory over nazis is realy cool.
March 12th, 2005  
Corocotta

[quote="serbianpower"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Uh, they had their own country before Stalin swallowed it up.

yup, and it lasted for 20 years. I dont think that erecting monuments to nazis, and not going to celebration which comemorates victory over nazis is realy cool.

The post war Soviet occupation implemented repression and genocide against the Latvians. One hundred and twenty thousand Latvian inhabitants were imprisoned or deported to Soviet concentration (GULAG) camps. One hundred and thirty thousand took refuge from the Soviet army by fleeing to the West. On March 25, 1949, 43,000 rural residents were deported to Siberia in a sweeping repressive action. Until the 90s soviet troops stayed there, I understand that they do not like russians very much. Until the 90s soviet troops stayed there, I think they have soviet represion to fresh in their memory for going to Moscow and shake hands with them.
March 12th, 2005  
03USMC

Could it be that the oppression of these countries under Uncle Joe Stalin might have something to do with the decision?

It's their right to go or not to go. Whether Moscow likes it or not.
March 12th, 2005  
Corocotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Could it be that the oppression of these countries under Uncle Joe Stalin might have something to do with the decision?

It's their right to go or not to go. Whether Moscow likes it or not.
I think thatīs the problem,uncle Stalin and his sucesors were not really nice guys