Bali bomb attacks claim 26 lives

As far as I know the President of Indonesia is a tough cookie and he is a sworn enemy of terrorism (differently than all his predecessors, Sukaanoputri included). He always went proud of his being "friend of the Americans" and that's wahy he is a target himself. All I'm saying's I don't know about the services, the administration and the rest, but the guy is ok and we should back him. Btw he was the only Gen. to not have been charged of war crimes or any other bad stuff in East Timor, where all he drew was the unwanted attention of terrorists themselves.

The governor has now enlisted the military to assist the police in hunting down the two masterminds of the bombing. Also it was his call to run the photos of the decapitated heads of the three who blew themselves up. That, in my opinion, was good psychology. Show the screwed up faces of their headless bodies to anyone who might have some "glorious" notion of following in their footsteps. Gruesome? Yes. But this is not a fight that is fought with honour. Draw and quarter the bodies and spike the heads.

I have family in Indonesia and the general feeling is one of support for the President and that he is the first in a long time who is strict in following the letter of the law and is the first ever in their entire history since independance who is truly making some inroads into stamping out the rampant corruption. Previous leaders have been an inept lot of corrupt bastards but this man is worthy of some support.

My 2 cents.

Bory said:
I know the Government and the Indonesian Army has a shady backgorund in human rights, but I don't think they would be stupid enough to sponsor terrorisim.

The Indonesian government has very little power. They are puppets of the military which put them in power. Although the country has elections, they have been under scrutiny for decades as many regions are either exempt or forced into the booths under guard. This is a totalitarian state. The areas of Banda Aceh, Monado and Timor have suffered years of genocide and military occupation for the sake of a nation they dont want to be part of.

However in response to why the real powers in Indonesia would favour terrorist action against Australians and the West is simple:
1. The Indonesian military is looking for pretext to further dominate and
stamp out internal dissent.
2. The Australians liberated East Timor, and are the most likely to intervene should regions wish to become independent.
3. Jamar Islamiya supports the role of the military in repressing minorities and opposing the international community.
4. There exists a bloc in the S.E Asian region which many are unaware of. Indonesia and Malaysia on one side; Singapore, Thailand and Australia on the other. On several occasions in the 70s and 80s a 2nd war in the pacific almost became reality.

Well, as you said, Australia would intervene should any of it's provinces wish to be independant. The Indonesian Army, would not be stupid enough to take on the ADF.
Australia by the end of this decade, will have close to 100 JSF Aircraft, all with stealth capabilities, 3 Anti Air Warfare Destroyers, 18 Tiger Attack Helicopters, and a huge list of other assets we a purchasing, and upgrading, and Australia already has the best special forces in the region. Put these assests, and the supporting assests we have, against the TNI, they will be nothing, and thats not including our allies.

If the Military wish to continue there hold of the government, it would not be in their best intrests to provoke Australia into a war. If the Indonesian Military is supporting terrorisim, and our, or our allied intel gets wind of it, well you get the picture

If the Indonesian Military is supporting terrorisim, and our, or our allied intel gets wind of it, well you get the picture

And let us remember Pearl Harbour..... It has been alleged that the US Government new about the attack prior to the event and used it as a trigger for propaganda purposes to get the US to join the allied forces.

How many more of these bombings are going to happen before the gloves are taken off? Our politicians "publicly" still have their heads in the sand and do not believe that our activities in Timor, Afghanistan or Iraq have increased the likely hood of Australians being targets for this type of threat.

We are very lucky we live on an Island

Back