BAE SYSTEMS COMPLETES TWO TESTS FIRINGS OF ADVANCED PRECISION KILL WEAPON SYSTEM FROM

rock45

BAE SYSTEMS COMPLETES TWO TESTS FIRINGS OF ADVANCED PRECISION KILL WEAPON SYSTEM FROM ARMY HELICOPTER

20 Dec 2007 | Ref. 400/2007
FORT WALTON BEACH, Florida — Two BAE Systems-built Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System (APKWS) guided rockets were successfully test-fired from a U.S. Army Kiowa Warrior helicopter on Dec. 13. These tests confirm that the APKWS rocket is compatible with the Kiowa Warrior’s carriage and launch systems and demonstrate that the weapon can be fired from the helicopter without requiring platform integration or modifications.
The tests also proved again the weapon’s ability to acquire, track, and hit a laser-designated target, with both rockets striking the target well within accuracy requirements established by the Army and Marine Corps.
Following launch, the first APKWS rocket was guided by a ground-based laser designator to a ground target. The second launch was guided by a laser designator in a second helicopter flying near the launch platform. This “buddy lase” scenario is typical of Army operations.

Full story
http://www.baesystems.com/Newsroom/NewsReleases/autoGen_1071120141652.html

I'm glad to see that the LCPK rocket that six of us at TI cobbled together and fired successfully at Yuma is finally getting some recognition. We called it the Low Cost Precision Kill. I have a lot of pictures of our team and a team from Redstone Arsenal firing in laser and radar guidance modes. The program was moved to Tucson fully operational when Raytheon bought TI, it was later sold to BAE.

LCPK rocket

Would the LCPK rocket + system replaced some of the need for more costly Hellfire missiles? I would assume besides taking on heavy main battle tanks that 2.75-inch rockets can do the job in most cases as long the target is hit and not everything around it. I think this is so cool and not many people make much out it but even simple platform can be used to deliver a precision weapon now. For example a low cost upgraded Huey II or other off the shelf helicopter can be used as a stand-off weapons platform and provide a level of ground support. I see a market for this system on COIN aircraft as well and maybe as mainstay heavy punch in a third world country.
icon14.gif

Back