Bad consititution means civil war in Iraq in the future.

My friend, although I dislike to open an argument here but i guess you made your point in another thread.

I'm afraid your right. If the Shites and Kurds cannot get the Sunnis on board there going to be trouble. There have already been skirmishes between the two ethnic groups.

On top of it you have Zarquwi (sp?) that has open stated that his vision of Iraq doesn't include the Shiites. Lets face it alot of Sunni are loath to have to deal with Shiites on equal terms, its century old ethnic hatred and declaring democracy and writing a constitutuition isnt going to change it.

I think the only thing thats going to keep all sides in line is a central strongman. Someone like Hosni Mobarak. Someone in the grey area between dictator and president. I could be wrong, but just dont think think the Iraqis are ready for a real democracy. There is no precedent for it in the Arab world and being served one by the US Government simply isnt going to be tolerated.

Italian Guy said:
WARmachine88 said:
Italian Guy said:
Sunnis are slowly but effectively starting to join the process in Iraq.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/?fe...50824-07390900-bc-iraq-constitution-1stld.xml

are you sure?
sunni leaders openly call the consititution illegal and they will do anything to veto it.

:D Some of them, not all. Sunnis clerics don't have power over each other so it's up to who you want to listen to.

I think there is a split in the Sunnis between those who are willing to deal but are not happy with the current constitution (want a bigger piece of the pie) and those who want back the good old days of Saddam and will oppose anything other then total power.

Exactly, but then it's good news, because as of like a couple of months ago no Sunni expressed any interest in joining. Now it means the process is slowly but effectively developing.

sadly, a piece of consititution will be vetoed if majority of people in three four provinces are against it. Sunnis are capable of doing that.

It seems all Sunni leaders were present when they denounced the consititution as illegal. and we are not sure who else are against it because the government didn't dare to put the consititution foward to the committee to vote.

WARmachine88 said:
sadly, a piece of consititution will be vetoed if majority of people in three four provinces are against it. Sunnis are capable of doing that.

It seems all Sunni leaders were present when they denounced the consititution as illegal. and we are not sure who else are against it because the government didn't dare to put the consititution foward to the committee to vote.

But a referendum will be held on the Constitution.

as i have said, the veto of this consititution in a referendum is pretty easy for Sunnis to do (majority in 4 provinces will be enough, or 3, i forgot).

First, nowhere does WARmachine88 state what makes the Iraqi constitution "bad".

Second, it's a little bit early to be prophesizing its failure.

Third, from the article WARmachine88 highlighted:

If the constitution does not win national support, the Iraqi government may have to dissolve, and there could be elections for a new transitional national assembly.

I'm not sure how that translates to "civil war" but if by factional fighting within a nation is your gist, then there's civil war there now.

Remember, our (American) Constitution was not completely ratified for four years after draft. Everyone here is just fighting for their people to get as much as possible from this but I think that all concerned see this as an opportunity to finally become a true Democracy. Anything beats what they had before (genocide, murder, and atrocities). I won't make a claim of total omniscience as some here have but I pray that this evolves into a 21st Century Democracy instead of a 5th Century Theocracy.

Charge 7 said:
First, nowhere does WARmachine88 state what makes the Iraqi constitution "bad".

Second, it's a little bit early to be prophesizing its failure.

Third, from the article WARmachine88 highlighted:

If the constitution does not win national support, the Iraqi government may have to dissolve, and there could be elections for a new transitional national assembly.

I'm not sure how that translates to "civil war" but if by factional fighting within a nation is your gist, then there's civil war there now.

Is a consititution bad if there is a huge portioin of population rejects it? Is it bad if it is in grave danger of being vetoed and the process of making a consititution will have to start again? is it bad that it :cen: of Sunnis even more and the root of insurgency will never die?

Admin edit: No personal insults/attacks will be tolerated!

that is how a democracy is gonna work there.

If they don't like that Constitution, they will hold talks over a better one!

it is wonderful, but i just dont like how U.S pushes it and intervene all the time. If Bush is not prepared for an excruciatingly slow process of drafting a consititution that can satisfy all sides (despite their huge differences), he should not even be in Iraq.

Good evidence for those who still think Saddam didn't possess any sort of WMD

Iran has 100,000 chemical weapons victims

http://www.irna.ir/en/news/view/line-22/0509060485180322.htm

Iran has 100,000 victims of chemical weapons, 50,000 of whom are in critical condition and some others are exposed to gradual death, a senior Iranian official said here Tuesday.

imposed war on Iran and the use of chemical weapons by former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein

WARmachine88 said:
it is wonderful, but i just dont like how U.S pushes it and intervene all the time. If Bush is not prepared for an excruciatingly slow process of drafting a consititution that can satisfy all sides (despite their huge differences), he should not even be in Iraq.

I am sure you have heard the quote:

"You can satisfy some of the people all the time and all the people some of the time, but you can never satisfy all of the people all of the time"

I believe that we are prepared to be there as long as it takes. Remember, everyone wants what is best for their people, and a piece of the pie, no one wants to be left out.

Do you happen to have a copy or a link to a copy of their constitution handy (the work in progress)? Do you know what topics are being debated? If so please let us know.

phoenix_aim54 said:

That's totally misrepresenting what people are saying.

Nobody denies the Saddam used Chemical weapons on the Iranians and on the Kurds during the 1980's. What they are say and what 3 different weapons inspectors have confirmed that his WMD were destroyed at the conclusion of the 1991 Gulf War and that since then it did not represent a threat to the United States.

You can try and spin it as much as you want, but to this date there still remain no evidence to dispute that fact. Even the White House has acklowledged this.

mmarsh said:
phoenix_aim54 said:

That's totally misrepresenting what people are saying.

Nobody denies the Saddam used Chemical weapons on the Iranians and on the Kurds during the 1980's. What they are say and what 3 different weapons inspectors have confirmed that his WMD were destroyed at the conclusion of the 1991 Gulf War and that since then it did not represent a threat to the United States.

You can try and spin it as much as you want, but to this date there still remain no evidence to dispute that fact. Even the White House has acklowledged this.

Yes BUT. Don't you believe that the burden of the proof was on him?
On the international scene other countries, like Ukraine, South Africa, Kazakhstan, and now Lybia, has agreed to accept UN and even other countries' inspectors. They honestly showed all they had, they opened their bunkers, their facilities.
Saddam Hussein made the whole world think he had those weapons. He repeatedly said that. Even his closest advisors and top military aides thought they had those weapons. They were shocked at the eve of the war when they learned Saddam had been faking it for years.
Now you know he had had those weapons, he had used them and killed hundred of thousands, he kept saying he had them. The UN, Russia, Britain and France thought he had them too.
If he did not have them, why didn't it open the doors and proved it? Like others had done. The burden of the proof was on him.
He was just playing a game he got burned playing.
Next time he won't pretend to have a matchbox in his pocket if he doesn't I tell you.

Back