Babineaux's lunging tackle saves Seattle

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

GREGG BELL

Associated Press

SEATTLE - Jordan Babineaux ran all the way across the field to get a piece of Tony Romo's shoe, which was just enough to save the Seattle Seahawks.
Babineaux's lunging tackle of the Dallas quarterback, who botched the hold on a 19-yard field goal try with 1:19 to go, preserved the defending NFC champions' 21-20 victory over the stunned Cowboys on Saturday night.
"I had no choice. It's either catch him or go home," Babineaux said. "Desperate measures call for desperate times."
Romo fumbled what appeared to be a good snap from L.P. Ladouceur and made his own desperate measure - a dash around left end with no blockers but not many Seahawks in position to stop him.
Romo briefly appeared destined for the end zone and an improbable touchdown. Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said that's what he thought was about to happen.
"Thank God Jordan saw it the whole way, because he had six if Jordan didn't get him," defensive end Bryce Fisher said.
Fisher was rushing from inside Babineaux on the play and said he had no idea what was going on as Romo dropped the snap.
Babineaux did. He sped around Fisher and made his own dash from behind Romo. Babineaux then dived and tripped Romo down at the 2-yard line.
Dallas coach Bill Parcells said Romo, the team's holder since September 2004, had been a perfect holder in games - in practice, too.
"We haven't had a mishandled snap all year," Parcells said.
Babineaux, who also beat Dallas with a last-second interception against Drew Bledsoe last October, wasn't even supposed to be part of memorable play.
Seattle was stacking defenders on its right side, opposite Babineaux, in a long-shot effort to block what would have been a short, kick quick.
"I just had to keep going!" Babineaux said of his run, shouting on the field over screams from the home fans. "I grabbed him by the ankles. It was real huge."
And just as bizarre.
"The last turnover that allowed us to win the football game - it doesn't happen that often," marveled Seahawks' 58-year-old coach Mike Holmgren. "I guess this is a comment to my age: you coach long enough, you end up seeing just about everything."
The play seemed so heaven-sent for Seattle, receiver Bobby Engram immediately ran from the bench to the end zone. Still wearing his team parka, with the hood up, he dropped to both knees and looked into the sky.
"I don't know, you guys. I don't know," Holmgren said, shaking his head. "Crazy game.
"That's about as automatic a play as you can have," Holmgren said of Dallas' chip-shot field goal. "It's unbelievable."
So it wasn't Shaun Alexander who won the game. Last season's NFL MVP had just 69 yards on 24 carries.
And it wasn't Matt Hasselbeck, last season's Super Bowl and Pro Bowl quarterback whose 50 percent throwing night and two interceptions should have doomed Seattle.
It was Babineaux and rookie Kelly Jennings, fill-in starters within a Seattle secondary that was missing two starters and has signed three players off the street in the last two weeks, that allowed Seattle to overcome crippling injuries and inconsistency. The Seahawks advanced to the NFC divisional playoffs next weekend at either Chicago or New Orleans.
Jennings forced a fumble out of Terry Glenn's arms near the Dallas goal line that became a safety and began the Seahawks' comeback from being down 20-13 midway through the fourth quarter. He and Babineaux, subbing for injured starters Marcus Trufant and Kelly Herndon, held Terrell Owens to a pair of inconsequential catches and 26 yards.
Then came Babineaux's tackle in Romo's startling gaffe. That's how the Seahawks became the first defending NFC champions to win a playoff game since the 1997 Green Bay Packers - coached by Holmgren.
"I'm as proud of this team as any team I've ever coached," said Holmgren, in his 15th season as an NFL head coach.
Alexander said the Seahawks never gave up. That, and luck, can go a long way in January.
"I call this the greatest persevering team I've ever been on," the seventh-year veteran said. "We've had all the injuries. The wind storms (December) - I think I didn't have power for 10 days."
The lights are back on now for Alexander and every other Seahawk.
"Now, we're officially in the hunt for this thing," he said.

Back