The B-52

Hopefully the B-1 or B-2 bombers, but they are too expensive. The B-52, though a slow plane still serves its job well. Im not sure whats happening to the B-52's now, but it would be sad to see them go. In my opinion they will still be sufficient for the modern and near future battle.

B-1 and B-2s are not meant to replace the B-52

Under current air force projections they plan to keep the B-52 in service until 2032.

Damn.....2032?? The B-52's been around a loong time as it is. I'm surprised they've made it this far...they still do delivery quite a punch though.

yes but they arnt the b-52's of old... they have been constantly upgraded... engines, electronics, weapons, cockpit etc etc...

chewie_nz said:
i always liked the hustler....now THAT was a sexy lookin aircraft

So was the Valkyrie XB-70 but that was cancelled. The B-52 is still a superb carpet bombing platform that does exactly what's asked of it.

This is the evidence of an extremely successful design.
Quite frankly I see nothing in the world that can replace this thing. Who knows... they might be around for so long that they may actually end up being UAVs. lol

The Other Guy said:
I have heard that every piece of equipment on the B-52 has been changed over the years.

Not only equipment but it's whole structure is replaced piece by piece over the years.
A 20 years old aircraft has no part on it that it left the factory with.
All this is due to aging / stressed material. Even unused spare parts in stock have an expiration date (like food). After expiration these parts have to be certified new or they go to the scrap yard.

The Other Guy said:
Doppleganger said:
So was the Valkyrie XB-70 but that was cancelled. The B-52 is still a superb carpet bombing platform that does exactly what's asked of it.

My favorite aircraft. 8) 8)

I just think it's one of the most beautiful machines ever to be built by man.

i liked the story that came out two years ago ( i think) about a son serving on the same airframe as his father did during vietnam

The B-1's are slwoly being phased out themsleves,so doubt they will replace them. Also I hard the B-52 would last until like 2052 cause some people were talking how it would be about 100 years old before it left the American Airforce.(Then it gets sold off to alot of poorer nations most likly)

Actually Darcia, we're both right. The current AF plans beginning the retirement in 2032 but according to calculations about the operational economics of the upper wing surface, the current B-52 fleet can theoretically be in service until 2052.

Old workhorses. Hope they use it a bit more.

Too bad the WW2 Planes are over now. Those days must have been exciting to be in one of those planes and dogfighting.

Might even purchase one later on :D

When a B-52 with it's war paint, wingtips almost on the ground, and loaded with a full payload slowly takes off, the enemy starts to wonder if their hole was dug deep enough. Just a picture is enough to convince me that I would hate to be on the same continent as the target.

Back