B-2 ACCIDENT REPORT RELEASED

rock45

There are a few side articels on the link. It's still a great platform with thousands of flight hours and so many missions under it's belt. I can see this aircraft in the future as the first stealth tanker for advance Block-II F/A-22, but that's just me thinking out loud.

Release Number: 020608

6/5/2008 - LANGLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Va. -- Distorted data introduced by a B-2 Spirit's air data system skewed information entering the bomber's flight control computers ultimately causing the crash of the aircraft on takeoff at Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, Feb. 23, according to an Air Combat Command accident investigation report released today.

Moisture in the aircraft's Port Transducer Units during air data calibration distorted the information in the bomber's air data system, causing the flight control computers to calculate an inaccurate airspeed and a negative angle of attack upon takeoff. According to the report, this caused an, "uncommanded 30 degree nose-high pitch-up on takeoff, causing the aircraft to stall and its subsequent crash."

Moisture in the PTUs, inaccurate airspeed, a negative AOA calculation and low altitude/low airspeed are substantially contributing factors in this mishap. Another substantially contributing factor was the ineffective communication of critical information regarding a suggested technique of turning on pitot heat in order to remove moisture from the PTUs prior to performing an air data calibration.

The pilot received minor injuries, and the co-pilot received a spinal compression fracture during ejection. He was treated at Tripler Army Medical Center, Hawaii, and released. The aircraft was assigned to the 509th Bomb Wing at Whiteman Air Force Base, Mo.

The cost of the lost aircraft is about $1.4 billion.

For more information, contact the Air Combat Command Public Affairs office at (757) 764-5007 or email accpa.operations@langley.af.mil.

Link
http://www.acc.af.mil/accspecialreports/b-2accidentinvestigationboard.asp

Last edited:
Interesting point about a stealth tanker. I never even considered that typ of capability before, but it seems it would be a good idea.

Thinking

Thought I was onto something here it could be used for deep strike and wouldn't give your enemy any idea you were even in the area. Maybe for deep strikes against China's nuclear missile silo's or other important targets.

First it's stealth fighter-bombers. Then it's stealth bombers. Now it's stealth fighters and maybe stealth tankers.

What's next.... stealth airliners.... Yeah. I made a funny.
icon_smile_clown.gif

Thank God that the crew survived the crash.

Special Operations

the_13th_redneck Stealth - transport for Special Operations.

Didn't think of that you halo down Special Forces types, getting them out of such a deep deployment is another factor for the planners to work out.

Back