Award's Ceremony.

cullion

Okay, our school, a third year ROTC school, has been disputing over this for a while. The Marine Corps Drill And Ceremonies Manual does not seem entirely clear to us and we interpret it differently, so I turn to you.

How exactly should awards ceremonies (the weekly ones in class) be present? Any help is ultra appreciated.

- C/CPO T. Wright
Battallion Operations Officer
Deptford Township HS NJROTC

what type of ceremonies? Im not too familiar with NJROTC but I might be able to help if you specify the type of ceremony that is going on...

cullion said:
Okay, our school, a third year ROTC school, has been disputing over this for a while. The Marine Corps Drill And Ceremonies Manual does not seem entirely clear to us and we interpret it differently, so I turn to you.

How exactly should awards ceremonies (the weekly ones in class) be present? Any help is ultra appreciated.

- C/CPO T. Wright
Battallion Operations Officer
Deptford Township HS NJROTC
Well Chief are NJROTC techer's have the Award's Ceremony when school
is out for summer vication. :)

Well, we do a big award's ceremony which is all pomp and circumstance and we do it at the Annual Inspection, as well. However, when we give out some ribbons during the year such as Community Service, etc, we have smaller award ceremonies in the classes on Wednesday, our uniform day. We're just curious how it is meant to be done in a one-platoon formation.

The way we currently do it is as follows, to give you an example...

Senior NSI recites her schpeel and says 'Cadets to receive promotion/awards are cadets (for example) Smith, Johnson, and Doe.' Then the Platoon Commander says "Cadets to receive promotion/awards, Front" At that time each cadet in second, third, etc-squad take one step forward and executes a right face. Cadets in first Then the Platoon Commander says "March." Cadets in second, third, etc squad march forward and execute a column left when they reach open ground past the squad leader, if upon turning, they mark time until cadets from the row infront (if any) are finished and there is adequate room for them to move. Cadets in first squad simply step two or three paces forward and execute a column left. Upon the first cadet to make it to the front reaches a certain point, the Platoon Commander will command "Posted cadets, mark time, march." The first person willthen execute a mark time and the cadets who come front and center will mark time behind them until all are there, at which time the Platoon Commander commands "Posted cadets, halt." And they stop. "Right, face." "hand, salute." SNSI/NSI receives salute and puts own arm down. The Commander than states "Ready, to." And the SNSI continues with instruction/handing of awards. When finished, the Platoon Commander commands "Hand, salute." "Ready, to." "Left, face." "Forward, march, post." The cadets return to their squad columning behind their own squad, stopping where they belong. Executing a left face. And taking one step forward. Presentation over.

But, we're not sure this is right. It's the closest interpretation we could deliver from what the current Marine Corps Drill and Ceremonies Manual says.

geez, awards each week? ya want eggs in your beer?
we only get in flight promotions twice a year. ribbons 2-3 times
military Ball
National Awards.
like i was promoted to Flt Sgt (SSGT)
at the military ball and i will be Flt Com. (2LT)
at the national awards....

In my unit, major awards like Honor Cadet, NS Outstanding, Exemplary Conduct, etc. are saved until our Military Ball at the end of the year.

Regular awards like Community Service, Unit Service, etc. are given every week. We don't have any special awards ceremony or anything. On our uniform day (Thursdays) the NSI calls up cadets while we're in class before we go out to drill. They stand in the front of the room. He goes up to each one, announces their award to the class, hands it to them, shakes their hand, then moves on. When he's done, they simply go back to their seats and the NSI continues with his daily briefing.

wow we get awards at the end of the year and thats it that includes ribbons, promotion, medals, and ropes

C/MSgt Strike

Back