Avro 698 Vulcan B2 Bomber XH558 flying Display RAF Fairford RIAT 2015 AirShow

I remember these in service when I was in the RAF. In 1967 on Salisbury Plain there was a fire power demo for heads of NATO, a Vulcan passed over my head so close I could almost feel the thrust from the engines, she had her bomb bay doors open packed full with parachute retarded bombs. An amazing sight as she totally destroyed a mocked up convoy of old trucks, busses and whatever. I was driving the air movements officer in a Land Rover, we went and had a look at the destruction, I doubt if even a wheel nut was undamaged.

I think they have a problem whit the engines

Essentially wings and engines but again it appears that with enough cash these problems could be overcome (cost effectiveness is another issue)...

The only action that XH558 saw was in the Falklands War in 1982 when it flew 8.000 miles to bomb the runway at Port Stanley and planes on the ground during the Argentine invasion of the Falklands.

Since the restoration the charity estimates that more than ten million people have seen the aircraft, including three million when it flew as part of the Queen's 2012 Diamond Jubilee celebrations. But the charity has admitted that it would be too expensive to continue flying the Vulcan beyond next year.

Trust chief executive Dr Robert Pleming said: “All Vulcans have a finite safe flying life and XH558 is already significantly beyond the hours flown by any other aircraft of her type. At the end of next year, she will need a £200,000 modification to her wings to increase her flying life”.

As well as complex and expensive wing modifications there is also concern about the Vulcan's jet engines.

Andrew Edmondson, engineering director for XH558 said: “From the start of the 2014 season, it is unlikely that we could accommodate any engine failures and that even without any technical problems, soon our set of engines would be out of life.

“There are no more airworthy engines available, and refurbishment would be so difficult and costly that there is no possibility that it will happen”.

Also because of the closure of aviation suppliers since the aircraft's maiden flight in August 1952 the cost of re-manufacturing or refurbish parts would be too high

https://en.mercopress.com/2012/10/1...ulcan-bomber-will-take-final-flight-next-year

Back