Autoloaders

Cdt Matteo

Many tanks such as the T-90, Type 99 and many others have autoloaders in their vehicles which removes the Loader and adds a mechanic autoloading system.

Personally, I don't like the idea of an Autoloader, loosing the Loader as a back up would be terrible in case of an emergency when he could take over other positions.

However, you can send more rounds down range due to your faster loading.

Thoughts?

I also prefer the autoloader. But I read somewhere that Turkey is developing a new national tank (dubbed "Altay" project) based on the Korean XK-2, but WITHOUT the autoloader! They're actually receiving tech-transfer from Korea's ADD/Rotem. Anyway, is there an intelligent (maybe tactical?) reason to develop a 4-person crew tank while the original tank already has a very nice interrior design and autoloading mechanism?

tank_XK-2_South-Korea_Black_panther_006.jpg

Nevermind, just checked it. According to a more 'official' source (Military Procurement International Vol. 18, No. 16, August 15, 2008 ) it IS going to have an autoloader. Good!

I guess the whole idea of not having an autoloader is that although a human loader may pull a muscle, chances are he's not going to suddenly jam and take forever to fix. But if the tech is good enough...

Autoloaders Faster?

I was a loader on an M1 back in 1990 and 1991. (3/70th Armor, 5th ID, Fort Polk, LA). We used to run a live fire exercise we called a PKB (Platoon Kills Battalion) and it was a training exercise designed to represent a passage of lines. Long story even longer but, it was a mad minute and a half with a tank platoon. My assigned tank fired all 22 rounds from our ready rack and the 3 rounds from our floor rack in less than 90 seconds. That is an AVERAGE of 3.6 seconds per round. With a good crew you can fire quickly. The only plus side with an autoloader is that you have a loader that never gets tired. Having the loader is better because the 4th crewman can help with maintenance. Anyone who has served on a tank will understand what I mean.

I haven't served with any tank (yet) but yeah I know what you mean. If you have any piece of equipment, it'll need to be checked, repaired and cleaned several fold more than the amount of time you'll spend in it with th engines running.
Hmm... if there's only 3 people to maintain that thing, there really ought to be a support crew. Heck, it's practically a jet fighter that doesn't fly.

Sabot to HE

If your tgt moves or a ATGW team come into view, you may need to change natures. You can not do this with an auto-loader.

P.S In my challenger 1 crew, our loader was faster than auto-loader on an M-84.

Reasons why I prefer human loader-

1- Human loader(if he is good), is usually faster.
2- Human loader helps with maintanance.
3- Human loader can replce other crewmen if killed or injured.
4- If the human loader is killed or injured he can be replaced by the gunner easily.
5- Human loader(in some tanks) can fire a top mounted MG.
6- In our tanks(Merkava) the loader fires and operates a 60mm mortar.
7- Human loader can help the tank commander with systems in the turret. Gunner can not because he is sitting down low in the turret.
8- Human loader can brew turkish coffee and auto loader can not.

I haven't served with any tank (yet) but yeah I know what you mean. If you have any piece of equipment, it'll need to be checked, repaired and cleaned several fold more than the amount of time you'll spend in it with th engines running.
Hmm... if there's only 3 people to maintain that thing, there really ought to be a support crew. Heck, it's practically a jet fighter that doesn't fly.
The russians just kick it and it works, sometimes.

I also prefer the autoloader. But I read somewhere that Turkey is developing a new national tank (dubbed "Altay" project) based on the Korean XK-2, but WITHOUT the autoloader! They're actually receiving tech-transfer from Korea's ADD/Rotem. Anyway, is there an intelligent (maybe tactical?) reason to develop a 4-person crew tank while the original tank already has a very nice interrior design and autoloading mechanism?

tank_XK-2_South-Korea_Black_panther_006.jpg

Yes,

The U.S has researched a M1 series tank with a 4 man crew and auto loading mechanism. We will reach a point when we will not have a choice but to go with auto laoders due to increased gun caliber sizes.

The U.S has researched a M1 series tank with a 4 man crew and auto loading mechanism.
So, what did the research find out?

BTW, I think Altay WILL have an autoloader, as XK-2 has one and the Turks won't be willing to experiment with a 4-person crew as that'll require them to change the original XK-2 design dramatically, which costs not only money but also more time. Turkey needs their first batch to roll out as soon as possible.

Personally, I'm expecting a relatively unchanged XK-2 base/engine but with a Merkava-like turret with indigenous electronics, Aselsan comms/FCS and sensors, ADD autoloader, Roketsan armor and a 120mm L44 smoothbore made by MKE. They'll have at least 2 prototypes for testing before serial production starts, supposedly around 2010.

So, what did the research find out?

BTW, I think Altay WILL have an autoloader, as XK-2 has one and the Turks won't be willing to experiment with a 4-person crew as that'll require them to change the original XK-2 design dramatically, which costs not only money but also more time. Turkey needs their first batch to roll out as soon as possible.

Personally, I'm expecting a relatively unchanged XK-2 base/engine but with a Merkava-like turret with indigenous electronics, Aselsan comms/FCS and sensors, ADD autoloader, Roketsan armor and a 120mm L44 smoothbore made by MKE. They'll have at least 2 prototypes for testing before serial production starts, supposedly around 2010.

That it can be done with a bustle loading system and still give you room for 3 crewman inside of the turret, this was also done with a dual caliber gun breech mechanism.

Back