Australian Soldiers were and are the best,

Yeah, I have a copy of this but it doesn't have an ISBN number. It was published in 1959. What a fantastic book! ****, the Aussie's were good. It says on the front of the cover "In my life I have fought with and against many kinds of soldiers , but I have never seen any who carried thenselves more nobly in battle, more daringly or more stout-heartedly, than those men of ANZAC"- Field- Marshall Sir William Slim.

It says on one page that the Aussies (2nd AIF) in World War 2 War were not that impressed with the American GI in the Pacific but they thought the Marines were good.

ISBN number?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DIGGER-LEGEN...categoryZ122820QQcmdZViewItem#ShippingPayment

Try e-bay!! The Aussie's were the best. Outstanding soldiers. They did think the US Marines in WW2 were good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here it is,... bearing in mind that self recommendation is very poor praise.
3aff_1.JPG

Hardly something the average real Aussie would put forward as a legitimate argument.

Laffin is a very jingositical (is that a word) writer when it comes to beating up the Aussie mythes from both world wars.
He's a great writer but his work is better suited for kids at school to hook them into learning than for adults after a serious historical work.
I have this book on my shelf but haven't picked it up in years.

Bet you haven't read it S!!!! But I'll give you a chance to get through it. Its not too long old fella.

As I have said once before, I'm certainly not your old fella. I can easily understand why you don't know who he is though, he probably took one look at you at birth and necked himself.

With recommendations such as that posted at the start of this thread, I wouldn't bother reading it. I'll leave it for those who need something to brag about.

It sounds like the author wrote for "Boy's Own Annual" to me.

Last edited:
"Too thick to change, and too old to care"

Seems to suggest something. Maybe you just don't like reading much and playing with guns is probably your best bet. Try reading a copy, you may be enlightened before you pass judgement on something you haven't read.

Another great classic is "We were the Rats" by Lawson Glassop.
ISBN 014014924 4

Try reading at least one of these great books before ANZAC day. You'll appreciate what these old diggers went through and be more reflective on the day.

The Great War by Les Carlyon is also a great book. I have learnt so much about these great Aussie fighters. Try being a little more patriotic.

Don't mind senojekips your Lordship, like any Australian living outside of the State of Victoria he's mad.

Both of Les Carlyon's books on Gallipoli and WWI are masterpieces.

As to Aussie diggers' reputation as soldiers - it has been well earned. Time will tell if Aussie Generations X, Y, and Z in the ARA are up to scratch. :|

My Lordship,

My patriotism has already been demonstrated by the fact that I voluntarily served my country when needed, without fuss or fanfare, before, during or after the event.

There is a great difference between patriotism and jingoism. I am without doubt a patriot, but that does not mean that I must go around telling everyone about it. Patriotism is in the act, not the thought.

Last edited:
aussie's "best"?

I don't know if they are the best but I won't want to go up against them. Their heritage has given them a sense of loyalty to their mates that is equaled by few individuals and by no nationality. If you want to fight one aussie, you better be ready to fight all of them!

I don't know if they are the best but I won't want to go up against them. Their heritage has given them a sense of loyalty to their mates that is equaled by few individuals and by no nationality. If you want to fight one aussie, you better be ready to fight all of them!
You'll find it's an attitude they inherited from the British. That's what makes British infantry some of the best in the world - sticking up for their mates and loving a good ruckus seems to be imbedded in British culture.

My Lordship,

My patriotism has already been demonstrated by the fact that I voluntarily served my country when needed, without fuss or fanfare, before, during or after the event.

There is a great difference between patriotism and jingoism. I am without doubt a patriot, but that does not mean that I must go around telling everyone about it. Patriotism is in the act, not the thought.

Sir, have you read the Broken Years by Bill Gamage.

Sir, have you read the Broken Years by Bill Gamage.

No, I have not had the chance, but no doubt I will get to read it eventually. There are many books on this subject, and I now look for things with a different angle to what I have already read.

I'll see if it's available at the local library, or if they will get it for me.

One more thing about the aussies

They know how to party! Never had more fun than with 3 rather drunk sailors from Down Under!

No, I have not had the chance, but no doubt I will get to read it eventually. There are many books on this subject, and I now look for things with a different angle to what I have already read.

I'll see if it's available at the local library, or if they will get it for me.

It will change the way you think about WW1 and the Diggers.

I would say that Senojekips did his part for his country and he doesn't need a book to remind him of it. I would also say that it is healthy for all of us to think we are the best, that helps us do what we have to do.

Last edited:
Excellent response Big Z and I concur... just bear in mind the fount from which this thread was borne. ;)

Back