Australian Soldiers were and are the best,

I have largely ignored this whole suject, as I feel that it was only ever posted to bring about disharmony in the first place. Fortunately this never happened, as most people were too gob smacked by the stupidity of the initial statement to reply.

Aussies are often proud of the fact we were used as shock troops in WW1 and suffered a lot of casualties. My inner cynic wonders if it was because we were colonials and expendable.

The Aussies were no doubt one of the best soldiers in the world, but I said ONE OF THE BEST. THEY'RE NOT NECESSARILY THE BEST, AS EVERY COUNTRY HAS THEIR OWN SPECIAL BANDS OF SOLDIERS AND SUCH

Then, South Koreans could argue that our Marines are the best in the world, as they performed superbly in Vietnam. Which the superb performance was true, but not the best part

Man when it comes to fighting bravely and fierce, Turks are the best. Not on seas though I think Bri,ts doing good when it comes to sailorship. Even in air, we are the bravest. Imagine, when we were fighting for our freedom, wings of the planes should be covered with some kind of chemical thing. We were too por for that stuff, so we boil some potatos outer covering (I couldn't find the word in dictionary :D) with some cloth and cover the wings with that. Then fly without any fear. That is sacrifice. That is bravery.

In land we are the best. In Gallipoli, 63 men have fought with thousands of ANZACs charging to the land. They've stopped them for hours. No machine guns. 63 men. Little ammo. We deserve respect. But respect is something not shown to us. Don't know why...

And ANZACs are our friends, they came to our land and tried to take it. They've been decieved of course. Imperialism is the worst thing in the whole world...

I forgot about korean war. My korean friend up there will surely accept we are cool.

Last edited:
In land we are the best. In Gallipoli, 63 men have fought with thousands of ANZACs charging to the land. They've stopped them for hours. No machine guns. 63 men. Little ammo. We deserve respect. But respect is something not shown to us. Don't know why...
That is completely untrue, I have written several posts stating the high regard accorded to the Turks by the Australian people and our Servicemen and Women especially.
See: http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/anzac-day-t89715.html#post599037

But I also thought that the Turks being as good as they are, they would not have to boast about it. Having people slapping your back and telling you how good you are, is not a sign of respect. respect is in the hearts and minds, not the mouth.

Last edited:
I agree with Seno - the Turks have always been spoken of with respect as military enemies, fierce and disciplined.

I have worked with Gallipoli veterans daily at times, and all complaints were regarding our own tactics, not the behaviour or abilities of the Turks.

BTW - the quoted foray - were the 63 Turks fighting from higher ground? Were their opponents coming from the sea onto beaches?

Whatever, Seno is right, Turkish military has respect. And I have never heard a military bad word for the Anzacs ever - and my father in law and uncle were 30 year (from boy) professional infantrymen, Palestine, India, China, Korea, WW11 Europe, Monte Cassino etc. (WO1 and WO11 rank). Their choice of partners - Anzacs left and right, Ghurkas behind, USA up front.

I asked them.

Last edited:
Every nation creates its heroes when it comes to the point of massive destruction...

I don't understand that as a response to my last post. I was praising your soldiers whereas I don't see the relevance of your profound quotation in answer.

And I asked a question regarding your previous post; were the 63 men fighting from higher ground down onto beaches etc. A lot of that occurred at Gallipoli.

Back