Australian Naval Aviation

--

June 13th, 2008  
Zort Boy

Topic: Australian Naval Aviation

Should the Australian Navy obtain VSTOL aircraft for the new assault ships that have been ordered? If so do they wait for the VSTOL version of the F-35 or pick up a dozen Harriers?
June 13th, 2008  
A Can of Man

Probably within a few decades if your air force doesn't have an F-35, it may not be worth having an air force at all.
June 13th, 2008  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zort Boy
Should the Australian Navy obtain VSTOL aircraft for the new assault ships that have been ordered? If so do they wait for the VSTOL version of the F-35 or pick up a dozen Harriers?
I am not entirely sure why the Australian Navy would need VSTOL capability at all. However if they are determined to buy such aircraft I can see no point in buying 40 year old technology in terms of the Harrier when they can get the latest in the form of the F-35.
--
June 13th, 2008  
senojekips

With the way our navy is funded, we'd prolly be better off getting some replacement parts for the Tiger Moth before they become completely unavailable.
June 14th, 2008  
Fox

don't they have the aircraft carriers? I'm curious...
June 14th, 2008  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox
don't they have the aircraft carriers? I'm curious...
Naaah,.. we only had 1 when I was in the Navy and it was only an out dated mini toy for the Birdies. Eventually the Government realised that it wasn't worth the biscuit.
June 14th, 2008  
AussieNick

There is a current project to build new Landing Helicopter Docks (like aircraft carriers but smaller). But judging by ADF procurement there will be world peace before we actually have them on line.
June 14th, 2008  
A Can of Man

The easiest solution is to buy a freighter and then wield a flat top on it.
Add an elevator to bring up bombs and fuel... presto.
December 29th, 2008  
Padre

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
Naaah,.. we only had 1 when I was in the Navy and it was only an out dated mini toy for the Birdies. Eventually the Government realised that it wasn't worth the biscuit.
I remember back in 1982 that we were on the verge of buying the RN's carrier ARC ROYAL but the Falkland's war ignited and the Brit's decided to keep it.

In 2012, Australia will acquire 2 "Canberra Class" mini-carriers mostly for verical take-off craft however in size they will be larger than the old carriers HMA Ships MELBOURNE and SYDNEY and can equip fixed-wing aircraft if we wanted to add them on.

I belong to the "Australia should have aircraft carriers" faction of the RAN but I think I'm in the minority.
December 29th, 2008  
Skull

whatever happened to that frigate project in port adelaide, are they dun yet wasnt it sumthing like 3 new warships being built?